Calypso Jr. Micarta - Ooooh Yeahhh!

I just picked one of these up on Sunday. I went up to my local dealer and handled many knives - various tactical folders mainly, but nothing really spoke to me (nothing in my price range for the day at least...)

Then I noticed the Calypso Jr. in the display. As soon as I got it into my hand, it felt PERFECT. I mean my fingers just seemed to come to rest in a natural and comfortable grip automagically. I swear that in less than 20 seconds I had checked out the razor-sharp edge and SOLID lockup, looked at the price tag, cycled it twice and said: "This is the knife of the day." Done deal.

I did have one initial concern with the fit of the lock release, but that was probably premature and excessively picky:

When I first got the knife home, I noticed that when the blade was locked open, the rear end of the lock release did not quite sit flush with the spine of the handle. (i.e. It stuck up noticeably (like a few hundredths of an inch.)

However, I've since flicked the blade open many times, and the lock release seems to be self-adjusting / settling into position, since the height at which it protrudes can now be called "negligible." If I run my finger along the back I can still feel a very slight bump, But I'm betting that even this will be gone soon. The action is also becoming broken in, making one-hand closing much easier than when I first tried.

Bottom line: This is one FANTASTIC knife. It's been riding in my left front pocket opposite my CQC-7B this week, and since it's tip-down I can cross draw by pulling the knife out by the blade hole and - FLICK!

PM

"By George, I think he's got it!"

I agree fully and ain't that gold bug schweet?
smile.gif
(Now ya gotta look for its big sister)

------------------
><CHINOOK*>
--
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

It is a great knife!
Great solid action and lock up. Nice fit and appearance. IMHO one of Spyderco's best.
Use mine as a money clip, that way I can still carry a commander in the r front pocket,(displacing the sebenza) and the military in the left.
BTW, it even goes through the airport with out any problems so far.
Jim

------------------
What? Another knife? Don't you have enough of those things already?
How many does one person need?
And just what are you going to do with this one that you can't do with the others?
What is the purpose of all these knives anyhow??

My Calypso JR is one of my favorites. The only thing is the AUS-8 Blade is kind of lame. *sigh* If I could only get one with micarta handles and a 52100 or maybe vg-10 blade. Sal? are you listening? Sal?

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

In the words of the old song, "Now I'm a believer". I just got a micarta Calypso Jr. and now I know what everybody has been raving about this past year or so. This is a very classy little knife and will find a regular spot in my pocket. Now all I need is a Ti Calypso Snr. to go with it
biggrin.gif

------------------
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Back