Camillus 885 Sword Brand Lockback

rprocter

BANNED
The knife in the auction is one of the woodcraft series. There were two versions of this knife, and the difference can be seen in the handle rivets.
The early version did not use rivets, but were glued on, the later version used the rivets.
Also, sword brand was dropped in the later version, and Camillus between two lines was used. And I "think" Camillus was used on the 887 even on the early version.
Back to the matter at hand. Only on the 885 was the "plain" stamping used, and this was on both versions. The later version used three lines, 1 Camillus, 2 stainless, 3 USA 885, and was on the other side of the blade
I have always wanted a set (7) of the early version, much better than the later one.

Mountainwind, thanks for that great info. i got lucky here, i did not really know what i was bidding on. seller also had a couple of Camillus single blade spear point folders that i bid on, but they went over double this. good to know it is part of the same Sword Brand series as my #883, one of my favorite knives. roland

camillus008.jpg

camillus009.jpg

camillus011.jpg

camillus010.jpg

camillus007.jpg

Questions: as all but the 884 have no handle rivets, i assume they are the "early" version ? what app. years were they made ?
note the clip blade in the 883s; one with, one without swedge. were minor differences like this common ?
my 884 is an "Orvis" and is the only one without "Sword Brand" and has rivets so is the "later" version. this is the only 884 i have seen. was there a first run, non-Orvis 884?
and what is the 887 ? i have never seen one.
thanks, they are nice knives.
roland

Hello:It's been a long time since I came on here due to many reasons;mainly health issues. Thought I would get back on and post this for discussion. I came across this knife in my box of "Pacific Rim Rejects". For some reason I never looked at the stamp;thinking it was a Chinese or Pakistani folder.
Imagine my surprise when I opened it and saw the Sword Brand logo! In trying to research it I came across this thread. Although it is stamped as a model 885,it lacks not only pins but rear bolsters as well. The only ones I have been able to come up with are ones with front and rear bolsters.
I posted this on a couple sites devoted to Camillus knives and nobody has been able to ID it.
Any info that could be provided as to age would be greatly appreciated. It is not for sale as I do not sell knives but just buy them.Been doing that since I got my first knife at the age of ten(1954).
EDIT: I can't figure out how to post a picture of the knife.Any suggestions?

Back