Camillus and Schrade of Old Given Short Shrift Now-A-Days

Wedged spring Craftsman Camillus.View attachment 1096231
I've got a well-used sleeveboard whittler, but with full flat ground instead of saber. The main blade is not easy to open mainly due to the placement of the nail nick. If it were a tad farther forward it would've helped with leverage.
xocQLsZ.jpg

I've got a well-used sleeveboard whittler, but with full flat ground instead of saber. The main blade is not easy to open mainly due to the placement of the nail nick. If it were a tad farther forward it would've helped with leverage.
xocQLsZ.jpg

Great old knife. Strong pull?

Last edited:
The camillus 75 jr cattle pattern didn't seem to be around long and there's no mention or sighting of a bone version that I know of. Shown in the 1955, 1957, 1959 and 1965 catalog. Catalogs that fill the gaps between these years aren't available on collectors of camillus.

I have this 75 and another that has a slightly different main blade like shown in the catalog cut. Photos of the other 75 are forthcoming. Like most jr cattle knives they are very size efficient and useful. The jr cattles draw me right in...

IMG_3360.jpg
IMG_3361.jpg

Cal I agree. The clip, sheepsfoot and pen are the most useful to me. I have come to really like the spey as a rough use blade since it saves the others and is already rounded; that way you can't ruin the tip as easily as the more pointy blades. I have no uses for the spey's true purpose (thankfully!).

Here is my other 75. My pictures are not great but note the different swedges.

IMG_3369.JPG
IMG_3370.JPG

Nice ones Paul ! The BROWNSTAG and the black stag are my least favorite handles on old camillus knives but we take what we can get right ;)

I have a #16, I really want to find one in bone but they are rarer than hen's teeth. The ones I've seen were in very poor shape :(

A3UMQuZh.jpg

Nice ones Paul ! The BROWNSTAG and the black stag are my least favorite handles on old camillus knives but we take what we can get right ;)

I have a #16, I really want to find one in bone but they are rarer than hen's teeth. The ones I've seen were in very poor shape :(

A3UMQuZh.jpg

Good looking 16! I agree with you on the brown and black handles.

I have two camillus 70 cattle knives with unsharpened blades in excellent shape but they had ugly shrunken black plastic handles. I had one redone in ebony and I love it. Everything else stayed original and the shield was reused. I got the second 70 and sent it right off for the same treatment but in mammoth ivory this time. That one is still in the works. They are high quality 1950's knives that are worth putting the money into for nice handles, at least worth it to me. I have a third 70 that is still original shrinky dink plastic but that one is the user.

Back