Camillus Boy Scout Knives

friendlyfire, now those are some great knives. Thanks for the pictures, I am sure there are a lot of drools right now besides my own!

Thanks for the pics, friendlyfire. What is the tool that is clipped on to the marlin spike that looks like a bottle opener on steroids?

It's a screw clevis tool. It also has a flat blade screw driver and 2 handy sizes of bottle cap openers. Absolutely essential before twist off bottle caps were invented. Never sailed my Alcort Puffer without it.

Norman Rockwell Commemorative BSA Knife #1064 (Camillus #BSA064)
ADCreHfIp8am-50Y1jQu5HN4R_OOscYMFbCjuC05RN1uFfEIhRefDCYrZ7NQ_MsYUuq_N3c0CLlcyuV-77r-HeSAmj3NrjsaKPwF-ZM3yp7-e64kO676fGIuwAtrjxGsoCikROyhhkXF-_48_MfK9H0I7JfY=w1024-h768-s-no

Last edited:
I have the Whittler but I let it escape me for a year or 2 and i found it like this :( any recommendations on the best way to fix her up?

Mineral oil and rough paper. If that does not suit, oil and 0000 steel wool. Looks like minimal blade loss. It will simply look like a veteran.

Mineral oil and rough paper. If that does not suit, oil and 0000 steel wool. Looks like minimal blade loss. It will simply look like a veteran.
I used a wire brush on a dremel. The. Overnight soak in EvapoRust. Then 800 to 400 grit sand paper. Then a dremel buffing wheel with some metal polish.

Final coat of mineral oil.

Looks much nicer, still a few lines of scale, and 1 spot of pit.

Camillus 98 and 99. Not BSA but scout knives nonethe less.

A Boy Scout knife is not a design, it is any knife that wears the BS logo with official BS approval. Many and most are pre-existing designs by companies with the BS logo slapped on it by BS order.

What we now call the scout design is any knife like the one above that has a main blade, scredriver, bottle opener, and awl. The US and Canadian army used the Camillus one wrongly called a "demo" knife (Canada called it a C5 clasp knife btw) and a local store has the Victorinox Alox version. That Camillus is a small "s" scout knife.

It might best be called a camp model rather than a scout because camillus seems to indicate that is what they called it, but scout is in such wide use now that either camp or scout will do but you can imagine how many non-scout designs you will get is you start a thread called, "Show me your camp knives".

Things change, 99% of us call a certain knife a Sodbuster today and leave the individual countries name for it alone because having just one name is easier to know what everyone is talking about. Just like todays Stockman used to be called just Premium Stock by Camillus, not Stockman but Premium Stock; with stock in the old days being commonly understood to be farm animals like sheep and cows and not the warehouse stock of today.

Last edited:
This is the only one I own. I have no idea where I picked it up. My camera sucks!
YqiKFlW.jpg

In Europe, a "Scout" knife is a shortish fixed blade with a guard. 0___0

Helle even labels this model "Speiderkniven" (Scout knife):

Last edited:
Norman Rockwell Commemorative BSA Knife #1833 (Camillus #BSA833)
ADCreHehsGubWhVEGt5QRUribmPK5-a-XDP5Go2Veiq80imgQbXdp_7GQCgMwCTUVHEUhbkMpLbYPt-jAyqVomgzA-DH8lcbDyz3g3CyZg5ke-TyOrQLrjq7ZE_L9CCGFmwkRDooyJ-BbfofiFfNfx0pgyum=w1024-h768-s-no

Last edited:
Back