Camillus Cuda Dominator

I recently discovered this knife - basically the deluxe version of the Heat. It's everything I've ever wanted in an EDC. S30V blade steel, titanium frame lock, Bowie blade, assisted opening. And what could be better than a design by Darrel done with the unequaled materials of the late Camillus Cutlery?

Do any of you have one? I'd like to see some pics while I undergo my late-comer's search for one!

cam-2447.jpg

Oh man, that's a relic from the past. I remember seeing those years ago, way before I got into knives.

I *think* Charlie Mike might have one, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Oh man, that's a relic from the past. I remember seeing those years ago, way before I got into knives.

I *think* Charlie Mike might have one, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

They're beauties. I loved the Heat from the first moment I laid eyes on it. When I got my hands on one, I thought I'd finally found the closest thing to my perfect EDC. Then, when I saw the Dominator, I nearly had a transient ischemic attack.

This little thing looks like it rocks. I'd love to get one to serve as my EDC while I save up for a proper titanium frame lock Gun Hammer, but these things appear to be just as expensive. The last Dominator I saw was going for close to $600.

The Dominators were awesome! I loved the tanto! I would love to see it make a comeback!

I ordered one while in Iraq back in 03. Sadly, it fell off my body armor during combat and some lucky towel head has it now. Great knife though.

I ordered one while in Iraq back in 03. Sadly, it fell off my body armor during combat and some lucky towel head has it now. Great knife though.

Ah, you still have the Cuda Max, don't you? Is that the last of the Camillus knives you have?

Don't have any of em. I got this though...

2012-01-13_14-24-15_146.jpg

That sucks, man. It definitely looks like an incredible knife from all the videos I've seen.

Frankly though, given the current price of the Dominators I've found, I'd rather just wait for the new 4-inch titanium framelock Gun Hammers to come out.

"Business" like that should be conducted via private message. This isn't for sale. While it wouldn't bother me, it's against bladeforums policy so I'm editing this out.

-Harkamus

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine on a preorder when they first came out. It's done lots of work, and the blade is a bit scratched up, but I got lucky when Camillus went away, and was able to purchase 2 blades off of auction, that had already been heat-treated and stone-washed, but with no final sharpening. All I need to do is order the thumb studs and sharpen the edge and fit the tang to the frame-lock tab. This set up will last me for 3 life-times.

The Cuda Maxx 5.5 is a great knife as well. For the length, it is suprisingly light and thin.

I got mine on a preorder when they first came out. It's done lots of work, and the blade is a bit scratched up, but I got lucky when Camillus went away, and was able to purchase 2 blades off of auction, that had already been heat-treated and stone-washed, but with no final sharpening. All I need to do is order the thumb studs and sharpen the edge and fit the tang to the frame-lock tab. This set up will last me for 3 life-times.

That sounds like a fun project. Knifekits has thumbstuds that may work.

Just checked them out. Any idea what diameter of thumb stud that would be? I believe they are the same size on both the Maxx 5.5 and Dominator. Don't have either in-hand at the moment, but would love to order a couple pairs of studs.

Thanks,

Just checked them out. Any idea what diameter of thumb stud that would be? I believe they are the same size on both the Maxx 5.5 and Dominator. Don't have either in-hand at the moment, but would love to order a couple pairs of studs.

Thanks,

A question best served for Darrel himself. See if he can find out for ya. dralph at earthlink dot net

I found a guy selling just the blade to a Dominator. I wonder if I could buy the blade and then have a friend fashion the handle and spring assist mechanism of the rest for me by giving him my Heat as a reference. A home-made Dominator - that would be an interesting project.

I found a guy selling just the blade to a Dominator. I wonder if I could buy the blade and then have a friend fashion the handle and spring assist mechanism of the rest for me by giving him my Heat as a reference. A home-made Dominator - that would be an interesting project.

Try asking Darrel if all else fails. Bet he could do that.

Try asking Darrel if all else fails. Bet he could do that.

I was afraid you might say that. Now my mind is running a thousand miles per hour with all of the possibilities. And the cost. :eek:

I guess it's back to another year of eating nothing but mac and cheese (minus the cheese of course - that would be an extravagance). :D

I was afraid you might say that. Now my mind is running a thousand miles per hour with all of the possibilities. And the cost. :eek:

I guess it's back to another year of eating nothing but mac and cheese (minus the cheese of course - that would be an extravagance). :D

There was a guy that ate nothing but ramen noodles for a year or so to fund his knife purchases. I could be wrong, but that person might be the guy that goes by powernoodle on these forums. Hey, at least you don't have to deal with all that sodium and MSG in the poison ramen broth.

There was a guy that ate nothing but ramen noodles for a year or so to fund his knife purchases. I could be wrong, but that person might be the guy that goes by powernoodle on these forums. Hey, at least you don't have to deal with all that sodium and MSG in the poison ramen broth.

I'll do the Dreamhammer first, THEN the Dominator project.

Looks like I'm going shopping for pasta tomorrow.

Back