Review Camillus Electrician Knife

Shorttime

Gold Member
What it is

First, let us take a moment for precision in nomenclature, because this is the internet, and you should be less worried about dying, than about getting your facts wrong.

So. The Camillus Electrician comes in two flavors, the TL-29, and the Camillus Electrician. The TL-29 had a variety of covers, and had “TL 29” stamped on it. If it says this, it was military issue. If it doesn't, it's a Camillus Electrician.

I assumed that “TL-29” was the item number, or some such thing. Do you know what happens when you assume? If you do, keep it under your lid, because it ain't terribly family friendly. Fill in the newer guys after class, if you want.

This one is new old stock, and it came to me still in the blister pack. It's been in my pocket a couple times, so you can see that ebony Delrin scratches if you look at it. I think the bolsters are aluminum, because they are also accumulating a goodly amount of wear marks, just from the nail clippers that I keep in my pocket with them.

HHcQbbe.jpg

RTxaV1s.jpg

Is it really Delrin? I don't know. I've heard it called “phenolic”, and I suspect it's the difference between Bounty and paper towels. If I'm wrong, and you absolutely have to set me right, be my guest!

I'm not saying I'll remember, but I respect the effort. After all, I'm posting pictures of knives on the internet....

Fit and finish overall is very good, from the pins to the gaps on the back, to the fact that the bail does that on it's own.

iegc3Fc.jpg

0vqxAel.jpg

i0iXZPp.jpg

DbqR3N0.jpg

What is that second part called, anyway? It's got a sharp(-ish) area for stripping wire, but it isn't properly a blade.

unR9a0T.jpg

p6dWEc8.jpg

I've used it, the lockup feels very solid, although I have no intention of testing it.

HsdQBsV.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with it. I wanted one of these, and this is an excellent example.

What it means

I'm an industrial electrician. It's been an ambition of mine since high school, but for many years, I felt I was too sloppy to be working around lethal current. The knife represents a combination of one of my interests, and one of my ambitions, and I'm somewhat biased about it. I did look around, though. The Camillus stood out in particular because of it's spearpoint Barlow profile.

IIXpGis.jpg

kifHprf.jpg

UlY8sxo.jpg

There is nothing special about the steel, the ergonomics, the fit and finish. It's just a knife, and very little different from a slipjoint of three generations ago. For me, it's a merit badge, and that's why I like it.

My grandpa carried one of these whenever he was working around the house. I don't think his was a Camillus, but a cheaper Imperial from the 70s. He beat the HELL out of it; it had paint on it and everything. His had a sheepsfoot blade, which is the only pocket knife blade he had that didn't have a broken-off tip. (since the screwdriver was better for prying)

Remember that back in the day, wire insulation was not plastic, but rubber wrapped in braided cloth. To strip that kind of wire, one would probably cut a ring around the fabric "jacket", then scrape off the rubber, which quickly dried out; it would crumble off, if old. Having a lot of current run through the wire accelerated the process. (heat ages rubber and plastics prematurely)

I found a Camillus Electrician at a pawn shop that had been "rode hard and put away wet". Carbon steel blades. Very good build quality; reminds me of just about anything made in the 50s. The back springs all lined up with the brass liners. Wish I could find it now! (WTH did I do with it!?)

This is a pattern that Case, Boker and Buck should pick up.

For what it's worth to ya' Smaug Smaug ,

The Buck Guildmaster:

qOIKXhb.jpg

Also available as a two-blade version. The internet says they're rare.

Boker Tree Brand electrician's knife:

eCFMNN2.jpg

And the Case "10 dot" electrician's knife:

4g5iKnP.jpg

I think the Case is very handsome, and lots of people apparently agree because the prices for these go up fast!

Even better is that braided outer jacket was sometimes asbestos! Yum yum!

I'm sure a lot of electrician-pattern knives were beat to Hell, and survived to come back for more. It puts a different perspective on our discussions about "strong", when it comes to modern knives.

Ok this is a somewhat old thread but I’m new and searched and this was the newest and most relevant to my question.
sixty six year old retired manufacturing engineer. Long time gun collector and shooter. Lifetime knife enthusiast or should I say hoarder. Still love a lot of the new technology mostly into modern EDC. And totally amazed at some of the quality coming out of China these days. Ok enough before I get scolded. I read the rules and searched first and landed here. i guess as I’ve got older I’ve began really enjoying collecting researching and studying vintage blades. Recently started BSA collecting and now I’ve ran across one in yet another new Vintage collection I’m embarrassingly not familiar with. This Camillus electricians knife. I stumbled on a not terribly old one awhile back and even though I’ve usually got a couple of modern flipper or similar EDCs on me this thing has found a home in my pocket As well. Amazing how useful the darn thing is. theres one thing I’m just not certain of and will probably make me seem an idiot. But the rounded notch on the flat not sharp edge of the driver blade. My guess is a finger notch while using it as a driver? Maybe?
the simplicity of this thing amazes me. The lock mechanism to keep the driver blade from closing and biting ya. Scraper. Super sharp cutting blade. Driver. Very cool. So am I anywhere close to the purpose of that notch. If I’m out of line here scold away. I’m about four days into the darn Covid virus someone apparently brought to the wife and I. So I’m kinda cross eyed a little at times right now.
I’ll look for an intro forum. I’ve just been able to log back in since registering. On my iPad. Still won’t go on my iPhone. already sent a help request. And as always thanks in advance.

Welcome, Arkar Arkar ! OP here, and to tell the truth, I forgot about this thread!

To tell another truth, I have no idea what that notch is for! I don't think it's a finger notch, though.

I have the feeling it's purpose is either obscure, or lost to history. It's right across from the "sharp" part, so you may be right. Unless somebody who knows shows up, or has some promotional literature, we may have to assume that it's like the contents of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction: it can be whatever you want it to be.....

Well that was fast and by the man himself. I didn’t really dwell on it much until my wife kept asking. Lol. Well I looked everywhere and couldn’t find it. And found this thread, albeit a little old, but kinda fit the bill.
I thank you for the response. At least I don’t feel so dumb about it. I was almost afraid it would be something so obvious I’d slap myself and hide under a rock. Lol.
thank you sir

Tool, Lineman-29. The military nomenclature.
The notch in the screwdriver blade is for stripping insulation off commo wire.
I carried one in the Army for 4 years. MOS was 36Kilo. Field wireman.

Ok this is a somewhat old thread but I’m new and searched and this was the newest and most relevant to my question.
sixty six year old retired manufacturing engineer. Long time gun collector and shooter. Lifetime knife enthusiast or should I say hoarder. Still love a lot of the new technology mostly into modern EDC. And totally amazed at some of the quality coming out of China these days. Ok enough before I get scolded. I read the rules and searched first and landed here. i guess as I’ve got older I’ve began really enjoying collecting researching and studying vintage blades. Recently started BSA collecting and now I’ve ran across one in yet another new Vintage collection I’m embarrassingly not familiar with. This Camillus electricians knife. I stumbled on a not terribly old one awhile back and even though I’ve usually got a couple of modern flipper or similar EDCs on me this thing has found a home in my pocket As well. Amazing how useful the darn thing is. theres one thing I’m just not certain of and will probably make me seem an idiot. But the rounded notch on the flat not sharp edge of the driver blade. My guess is a finger notch while using it as a driver? Maybe?
the simplicity of this thing amazes me. The lock mechanism to keep the driver blade from closing and biting ya. Scraper. Super sharp cutting blade. Driver. Very cool. So am I anywhere close to the purpose of that notch. If I’m out of line here scold away. I’m about four days into the darn Covid virus someone apparently brought to the wife and I. So I’m kinda cross eyed a little at times right now.
I’ll look for an intro forum. I’ve just been able to log back in since registering. On my iPad. Still won’t go on my iPhone. already sent a help request. And as always thanks in advance.
That notch on the screwdriver/stripper blade allows better access to the knife blade nail nick.
That's always been my take on it after many years of attempting to index that notch.

Resurrecting an old thread. Sorry about that. ;)

I inherited a bag of old knives from my grandpa who's been gone since 1979. Looks like he had a Callimus Electricians knife in there as well almost identical to the OP's. Seems to be in pretty darn good condition as well with the exception of a small stain on the spine of the blade. And the other thingamabobber electrician tool is a bear to open. Is it a blade, a screwdriver a wire stripper? I have it soaking in some Ballistic at the moment hopefully to help loosen things up a bit after a good wipe down.

Back