Camillus Mark 2 pommel question.

I know that the latter WWII Camillus Mark 2 pommels were pinned to the tang but I can seem to find any pictures or schematics that show how this worked. Does anyone have any pictures of the pinned pommel or knows where and how it was pinned to the tang? Thanks

Here's a rough diagram of the construction technique. A guard with a rectangular hole is slid down over the tang and then X leather disks are slid down and heavily compressed. The pommel, with a pommel pin hole drilled through it is placed over the what I call the "pommel pin tang" and a pin is inserted thought the pommel and pommel pin hole.

The differences between the WW2 versions (Kabar, Camillus, PAL, R-S) and the modern Kabar version
- 1) The WW2 pinned versions had pommels 1/4" thick. The current Kabar pommels are 3/8" thick.
- 2) The WW2 pommel pins went all the way through the pommel and is visible from both sides. The modern Kabar pin is blind pinned, going only about 3/4 of the way through. All others have 1/4" thick pommels.

The official post-Korean War versions, Utica, Connetta, Camillus, Ontario (current contract as well) , and the post-contract-ending Camillus knives were all through-pinned.

On a last note, although I have the corners depicted as square, the inside corners actually have a 1/32" radius in them.

0HJA-DCDF2x0qT7x-4JIaMOKZllSxbi5yV7ABnrp81baS0EpBlA6_aabiu4PwfOjQ-HJnGNw6iXV0le6LW28dfgVEW13OQY7yRUrFoTqAby-WDxUZc1TqJlLSSQZOvtAxnycSaqlPTA_okq_zc64EFyOfjHFXVlwTWikHPfgZZLIgLiPlQbZenpu7PO4WLJN52oL6fqMRV_rLE9O-sSyKgUV5GOMDpmtVzp6GfqyEvhGjjgnI8z86HX8UMk6FybHIc2tlOydMh-2Zlj1zQvEGloKbIQk-xBg4ywzFhP4pghC_UWv7BKPhnMjX4bdtV7qpw8ToGFUvbsYOXj5bSzxK66DFb2Si7DenjuB38Nbe0NLRa5T1W6UEYUkdxEQErjHq3ALKgJ5jO0iSUdg_pc9DbWuJRE4Xp54oBehXHRFvBN8ccz73TXGgcJOWXdCul3Gh8jAoov6KV56MUMMKG1uZBaKn3pC_aCrLYf2DwStB9U5JLMcKUc6i_NT3kr3U3mTsfElS1k8lGg-iiX-Op9lpYEAgwgcAvpbdObdQ5Q9Y0AYWQ3dbpQSaDIyzfMgriHm1f7Bxp0kDzA9gKZXP52h0_tgUy6cJznVXGMzqrCpb-4_RCjzISMs32mnzI0WlYBoafFweGPbpCj0LObLZ9AoZ_LS=w690-h227-no

Welcome to the Kabar forum. Great People with a lot of knowledge here. Pull up a stump.
Thank you. I've been making knives for a year and I was going to try my hand at a hidden tang with leather handle and I can't think of a better place to start with that with the Ka-Bar. My mentor kept telling me about a pin but I just couldn't visualize it. Been trying to get on off ebay (almost last night) for a relatively inexpensive one to help me model it. I have a couple of Navy pilot 5" camillus knives (one where the handle was replaced with two pieces of wood and a string wrap).

The JPSKs are not pinned. The earliest 6 inch ones were screwed onto threaded tangs and held in place with a split nut. Later, the split nut was replaced with being peened tight after being screwed on. All of the 5 inch ones are peened pommels.

Another question concerning the handle. Between the leather and the guard and the leather and the pommel there appears to be some sort of spacer. What material are those made of? Thanks

The spacers are black Plastic.

Are you aware that the handle kits are available from KaBar?

You get a guard. Pommel with pin the black spacers and a pile of leather washers for a decent price. I’ve used them on other knives than the standard fighting knife they are made for. I’ve been happy with the results.

The pommels from KABAR are 3/8 thick and the pin hole is not drilled all the way thru. The Camillus knife doesn't use spacers either.

Back