Camillus Whittler?

I have a Camillus Swell center that I think is a #72 Carpenters whittler. Late Tang stamp, delrin scales. Question is- Is it a whittler? I was taught that whittler must have three blades with the main blade falling between the other two. On this one the main blade is closer to the mark side than the other two. Thanks
camilluswhittler.jpg

By coniferwoodsman at 2011-03-16

Camillus called their knife a Whittler.

Even though I worked there for 27 years & will always love the Camillus Brand, you are technically correct coniferwoodsman; it is not a true Whittler! :thumbup:

Here are three Camillus knives that I have and see considerable use as "whittlers" -

Camillus2bladefront-1.jpg

Camillus3bladefront.jpg

Camillus2bladefront.jpg

My favorite happens to the be three-blade which is just like the one in the first post of this thread except the end on which the two smaller blades are found is reversed.

Tim

I believe they called it a whittler because of the handle shape. Not sure, though.

~Chris

Very interesting subject and lots of nice knives. I know nothing about whittlers but enjoy this thread. Phil, why the different blade setup on the same model?

The change happened long before my arrival, so please consider this as speculation.

A true Whittler requires a "Tapered Half Center" between the two springs. Basically a center scale that has one end lopped of & is tapered to zero thickness toward the missing end; this allows a single thicker blade at one end riding on both springs, & 2 blades on individual springs seperated by a center at the other.

These are a MASSIVE PAIN to make.

It was a cheaper way to make a 3 blade knife!

camillus_72_f1-1.jpg

This non whittler Camillus 72 has a coping and pen blades, with the coping blade on the bottom. Thanks for the explanation Phil.

Schrade (863) and Ulster (63) did this pattern on the same frame, probably for the same reason. The oldest Schrade with this pattern went the pain in the ass route in the 1930's, and offered it as a true whittler with both the clip and pen options.

C863.jpg

From the 1936 E Supplement

Hal, Where are you finding these beauties. Jealous I am!

thawk, in the last picture, is the back side of the large blade flat or does it have a grind like the nail nick side? I have an old Imperial that is flat on the back side and the nail nick side looks a lot like that one.

The back side is also sabre ground on this one.

camillus_72_b1.jpg

I have a 294 Schrade serpentine jack they ground flat on the back like that though, with a sabre ground mark side.

I've got a Camillus that looks different.
The stamp looks printed on the main blade and say "Made in the USA"
I like the knife but it does not look original.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Larry

scan0001.jpg scan0002.jpg

Back