Cammilus Guard loose?

David Nowlin

Gold Member
I posted this on the Camillus forum with no answers. My camillus fighting knife (similar to my Ka Bar) has a loose guard. I did abuse it digging a hole and chopping a buried root so it took a beating, never again. Any trick to getting it tight again. Just loose enough to annoy me but not enough to affect the use of the knife.

Try bashing it with a hammer from the side. Super glue mixed with baking soda should work. JB Weld will work too.

David if that is your back yard I’m coming for a visit. Very nice.

People have tightened them up by pulling thread between the guard and leather and wrapping it under the edge of the leather. I've learned to just let them be.

Yea its really me just being nit picky. I really just need to get it sharp again. I’ve used all my sharpening knowledge (which is basic stone work) and cant get it sharp.
Isnt it 1095? Thought it was easy to sharpen?
DN

When i bought it i bought two and the unused one is the bench mark. Just cant get it razor sharp?

I never had a new knife come so sharp I couldn’t make it better. Use coarse until it’s sharp then go to medium.

I’ll try! I probably am using a bad or inconsistent angle. Practice makes perfect i guess so i’ll keep trying. Thanks for all the great info:)

Ive seen that marker technique i’ll try it out and thanks for the video. No time to watch it now but will asap. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I posted this on the Camillus forum with no answers. My camillus fighting knife (similar to my Ka Bar) has a loose guard. I did abuse it digging a hole and chopping a buried root so it took a beating, never again. Any trick to getting it tight again. Just loose enough to annoy me but not enough to affect the use of the knife.
I've used gorilla glue gel with good results on a couple of my Kabar commando guards.

JB weld is easy to work with use a tooth pick as a spatula. Force it into the gap between the guard and the blade. If there is no gap super glue works better.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the info. I just finished the video. Im thinking i need to spend some money on some better stones. Mine are a cheaper kit i got at BPS. Seemed to work ok on my smaller Buck 110’s and my Spyderco’s but these bigger knives are tuff!
And I’ll let you know what i do with the guard as soon as i know. lol!

Back