Camp Knife for my Wife Recommendations Please

Title says it all.

I've used a Ka-Bar Becker BK 9 for years as a camp knife. I doubt I'll change as I can run any number of my Spyderco Folders for small tasks, and the Becker is beat up but a damn fine functional piece of steel for camp work.

My wife and I haven't been on a camping trip since our Honeymoon in October of 2016. Her Birthday is at the end of February and while I've ordered her a nice new pair of Justin boots for her main gift, I'm still a little torn on the knife. And we go camping to celebrate her birth on this planet on the 1st.

I've thought about just ordering her a 5" version of my Becker on Amazon but I thought I'd open the question to you all.

What would you buy for your wife as a long term camp knife investment with a budget of $120 or less? This will be a lifetime camp knife or until we break it. Which we might, we're not tiny people. :D

Since you are using a BK9, I'd recommend for her a BK16. I use a BK9 as well and my wife has a BK16 and she absolutely loves it!

cKcDiX6.jpg

Since you are using a BK9, I'd recommend for her a BK16. I use a BK9 as well and my wife has a BK16 and she absolutely loves it!

cKcDiX6.jpg

That was on my list for sure. And that's a damn fine looking FFG blade.

Who made your scales for your BK 9? Commercially available?

That was on my list for sure. And that's a damn fine looking FFG blade.

Who made your scales for your BK 9? Commercially available?

Thank you! Yep, those are factory Becker micarta scales and they can be bought from just about any online knife shop.

My wife really likes my Fallkniven F1 and is considering picking one up for herself.

Have you asked your wife about her preferences so you can be sure you’re getting the knife SHE wants?

My wife really likes my Fallkniven F1 and is considering picking one up for herself.

Have you asked your wife about her preferences so you can be sure you’re getting the knife SHE wants?

I have, and she literally looked at knives on my iPad until her eyes rolled back in her head and then she told me to handle it. Gun/knife decisions for the household is principally myresponsibility. (According to her) She runs her Gen 3 G19 like a boss. That said I do agree with your point. Once I elected on 9mm Glocks for the household, she handled both Gen 3 and Gen 4 and chose the Gen 3. We run Gen 3 whenever we can across the board as that’s her preference and I can shoot anything fairly well so outside of a little slide bite on Gen 3’s it makes no difference to me.

Her only specification was “make sure it’s NICE”. She adores her Gen 3 G 19 so nice to her tends to mean black and functional. She’s a Welsh/Irish Redhead and was raised country. The Becker BK16 really might be the ticket. But I’m enjoying seeing what everyone is suggesting.

What will SHE use it for? Processing wood? Food prep? Bush Whacking? Is 5" too big or too small (any woman will tell you, size does matter... :D)

Since it's a gift, might be nice to get one from one of the craftsmen on the exchange.might not be made specifically for her, but it will be custom. Lots of good stuff always pups up in your price range, but might be a little smaller than you're looking for.

Just a thought.

What would you buy for your wife as a long term camp knife investment with a budget of $120 or less? This will be a lifetime camp knife or until we break it. Which we might, we're not tiny people. :D

As I've never seen a need for a big old honking knife for a camp knife (Are we backpacking? I want something light. Car camping? We've got an axe and/or hatchet for dealing with wood. Camp kitchen duties? We prep for the trip at home, in our kitchen, using our kitchen knives).

As such, I'd get her something small and easily carried from user @Horsewright. Good looking, functional, and fits what I, her, or we need from a 'camp' knife.

As I've never seen a need for a big old honking knife for a camp knife (Are we backpacking? I want something light. Car camping? We've got an axe and/or hatchet for dealing with wood. Camp kitchen duties? We prep for the trip at home, in our kitchen, using our kitchen knives).

As such, I'd get her something small and easily carried from user @Horsewright. Good looking, functional, and fits what I, her, or we need from a 'camp' knife.

This is why I love debating these things. I personally love having a knife that can function in nearly all roles. Is it heavier, yes. But I’m willing to trade some weight for adaptability. Even if I never use it in some roles.

For now, custom isn’t an option. I literally have days to order this and get it here in time. Maybe I should have posted this question sooner, but I’m new here. I literally didn’t find this forum until I was thinking about selling/trading a few knives.

I absolutely will look at @Horsewright and his work for future options though. And kudos to you for repping a custom maker here. I didn’t know who he was before and now I do.

Case Finn or vintage Western Boy Scout knife, basic Bird & Trout. Hess makes it 1095 carbon steel. Stacked leather handles or nice wood with thin blades make a classic useful camping knife. It's an easy carry, I have as both a boy & man.

Back