Camping knife, not the Scout type.

So what traditional do you guys use for camping/canoeing/ kayaking and just general outdoor use; without the specific of hunting or fishing?

I generally lean toward a small Scandinavian Puukko type straight knife, but think I want to try a folder. Could be a lockback or maybe a slip joint. I actually like to looks of GEC’s #23 with a clip and a smaller pen blade. Large enough for knife tasks (I carry a hatchet for chopping wood, just don’t buy into the “lets split wood with a liner lock and a mallet” line of thought.), yet has a smaller blade too.
I might prefer a single blade though, to keep the handle as comfortable a possible when using the knife for longer periods of time.

So what are your thoughts?

I would use the same type of knife for my primary. For me, its typically a Mora No. 1. As for my folder, I use a stockman or an Opinel. I love the simplicity of the Opinel and the functionality of the Stockman. I would recommend a Case or similar carbon steel multi-blade knife or your choice. Try a trapper, stockman, pen, even a peanut.

I choose an Opinel. As much as I love slip joints, when fingers are cold and nails soaked, a nail nick is a huge disadvantage in my opinion. I hate struggling with my knife when I am already fatigued.

I think you've got the right of it with the 23. We do quite a bit of camping, though it's the car variety due to the age of my children, and the 23 has never left me wanting.

My usual folder I carry in the woods is a SAK with a saw - GAK OHT, Trekker, Farmer, or Lumberjack. Of course they are carried as an accessory to my fixed blade - which is usually my Jones Brother Puukko.

Now if I am limited to only carrying a folder in the woods I carry an Opinel. Either a standard #8 in carbon steel, or a #8 Ebauche in cherry wood & carbon steel that I finished the handle on. Usually only happens when I am on an official Boy Scout trip.

These are my go to knives for general outdoor activities. However I have very specific cutting tools for things like hunting, fishing and camping, but I'll always have the SAK and Buck in my pocket when I am in the woods no matter what. Don't get me wrong I never want to loose or break any knife but if something were to happen with either of these knives not much money gone and easy to replace. Yet they are both great knives and I keep them razor sharp.

9HmcQyd.jpg

Opinel #10 Inox backed up with a Leatherman PS4 Squirt.

Outdoor Carry by Pinnah, on Flickr

When I know I'll be building fires regularly, I'll swap the Opinel for a Mora Companion or an old Schrade H-15. But generally I find fixed blades to be a hassle in the woods. I can't carry them with a pack on comfortably and I hate needing to dig in the pack to find my knife. I either pocket carry the Opinel or put it in a small fanny pack that I wear near my belt buckle when carrying a full pack.

I have a puukko on my belt in the outdoors. I'm limited by my daily circumstances to carrying a folder, so when I head outside I like to take the opportunity to carry a fixed blade. Makes too much sense not to, the fixed blade is a better tool in that environment. Of course I still have a slipjoint in my pocket, I always do.

all of the above plus a proper saw-ie a small pruning saw or bush /bow saw- the camping trip would be over by the time I sawed through some aussie eucalypt wood with a SAK saw.:)

....the Opinel saw is amazing! Don't think picnic knife- that saw blade saws!

Sent by P F M !

all of the above plus a proper saw-ie a small pruning saw or bush /bow saw- the camping trip would be over by the time I sawed through some aussie eucalypt wood with a SAK saw.:)

Had a eucalyptus tree fall in my folks backyard back when we lived in California. As I recall it was a royal pain chopping that tree up. Ended up making some great firewood, but that was back around 1984-85 and I still remember swinging that axe over an over.

If you've already got your fixed blade sorted then it's a Vic Farmer without a doubt. It has a good sized main blade which is great for small tasks including food preparation (being stainless). The awl is sharp and always handy, but best of all it has that great little saw, brilliant for clearing a site of bush and branches as well as innumerable other jobs that cannot be done with a knife. Pure pared down good design and practicality with no superfluous additions. The can opener and cap-lifter/screwdriver are an added, useful bonus. For me the best SAK of them all.

Untitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have a puukko on my belt in the outdoors. I'm limited by my daily circumstances to carrying a folder, so when I head outside I like to take the opportunity to carry a fixed blade. Makes too much sense not to, the fixed blade is a better tool in that environment. Of course I still have a slipjoint in my pocket, I always do.

Christian Sir, awesome Puukko my friend.

I don't hunt nor fish myself...just enjoy hiking around :)
I tend to carry the usual suspects...an Opinel (lately, a #8) and a SAK (lately, a Climber). Sometimes I might pick another slipjoint, depending on the mood, but basically it's Opinel + SAK.
Sometimes, when I'm in the mood for it, I also carry a smaller (7"-8" overall) fixed blade. Not that I really need it, I just like to ;)

Fausto
:cool:

My usual set up is a large 111mm SAK (The one handed Trekker is a good choice if you keep it in a pouch or in a pack.); medium fixed blade (4-6" blade length; and lately the little Leatherman Squirt on my key ring. So, the GEC #23 is a good choice in my opinion. With the second blade, you have a backup if the need presents itself. I tend to prefer the GEC #42 Missouri Trapper (two blade) or the Northwoods Madison Barlow (in one or two blade configuation) but are both the same size at 4.25" closed. A folding saw often gets added to the list.

For a fixed blade, either an Ahti Tikka, a Mora #1 or scout, or a Grohmann #3. That said I always have my "scout type" Victorinox Farmer - even when I don't have a fixed blade. I go no where without the Farmer.

I have a couple of Opinels myself, a #7 and a #9. My concern with these two is the bare wood. If I'm going to be kayaking in particular, it's going to get wet. When I've had that happen before, the wood swells and the blade... well, it sure isn't that easy to open anymore. Is there something you guys do to protect the wood?

And thanks for all the suggestions, most helpful in my search. I don't really "need" another knife, but it sure is a good reason to get one!

Back