CAN 154CM GET HAIR SHAVING SHARP?

I bought a discontinued BM PRESIDIO 5000 last night and it comes with 154cm. I have not used 154cm in a long time.I love me some M4.So I ask you guys,what do you think of 154cm?

I can get "Surgical steel" shaving sharp on my buddies Gerber with a diamond Stone or another guys junk harbor freight knife.

So yeah. 154cm can pop hairs no issue. About three years ago I had a Cqc 13 so sharp it sliced the tip of my finger off closing it with numb hands in cold weather. Oops.

Mastering sharpening and knowing your steels is key.

It's good . I prefer S35VN , CPM 154 and M 390. But class 154cm , S30V and D2 together. All reasonable on a well designed blade.

I am trying to say . Well, you could get a spoon to shave if you know what your doing ;)

Last edited:
Uh yeah. All of my 154 knife have come hair shaving sharp. Most steels can be that sharp.

I agree. 154cm may not be the newest super steel but its good to go. It will get sharper than you could ever really need if you have the patience. It may not hold its edge forever but it will strop back with ease. It also takes a mirror finish very well.

To prove a point to my coworkers several years ago I grabbed a cheap paring knife from the drawer in our breakroom and started working the edge on an Arkansas stone. There was nothing stamped on the blade about steel used. It took an hour or so to clean up all the dings and chips on the edge but eventually I ended up with a knife that would float hair off my arm. My point is that almost any steel can be made shaving sharp. The better quality steels wil stay sharp. I think many guys here get too hung up on blade steel when most modern knives will easily handle day to day cutting tasks.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to go on a plains game hunt in Namibia. All the Harari trackers used the cheapest stamped steel Victorinox-type knives with plastic handles. They sharpened them on field stones and made quick work of all the game taken I could see. Of course all the hunters had fancy folders and belted fixed blades on them.

From the way I saw those knives zip through tough kudu hides I knew they were razor sharp.

Yes 154CM is an outstanding blade steel .
ibohc5Q.jpg

Yeah that’s good steel. I have even made a pillsbury knife (several actually) sharp enough it’s starting to treetop hair but isn’t quite there and that was no name junk steel that quite literally didn’t want to take an edge. So you should be good to say the very least.

154CM can get very sharp, you have mostly Molybdenum and chromium carbides so it's not going to require any exotic abrasives either, a final finish with a 1000 grit ceramic will give you a nice edge.

My Mini Presidio has 154CM and I carried that knife every day for almost 12 years. It's a good steel, it can be sharpened fairly easily and it holds an edge reasonably well.

I've not been impressed by the 154 CM of my Grippie or Emerson, maybe because of the blades' geometry. Both will take a fine edge with a fair bit of effort on diamond hones, but won't hold it very long. CPM 154 is another matter (BassPro 10), seems to take a fine edge with less effort and cuts for a long time.

I was lucky enough to go on a plains game hunt in Namibia. All the Harari trackers used the cheapest stamped steel Victorinox-type knives with plastic handles. They sharpened them on field stones and made quick work of all the game taken I could see. Of course all the hunters had fancy folders and belted fixed blades on them.

From the way I saw those knives zip through tough kudu hides I knew they were razor sharp.
That's cool.

154cm by Benchmade is very good steel that can get crazy sharp and hold edge for decent amount of time.Benchmade grinds most of the knives thick behind the edge,reprofile it and get the burr.Im sure itll cut well

154cm is one of my all time favorite steels. It can get beyond hair shaving sharp. Not only is it easy to sharpen but it also holds an edge really well.

Back