Can a big blade replace a hatchet/axe?

Well they didn’t specify the size of the rounds and they also said that a portable saw was needed to pair with the knife so there’s that as well. Also, the portable stoves are quite small since they’re for a tent, so cutting large diameter rounds is unnecessary. If you’re having trouble picturing what I’m talking about, check out Seek Outside, that’s where the quote came from.

Like I said, it’s situation dependent, and most likely a personal choice what tools are used. :rolleyes:
I'm just poking fun at those videos with huge beautiful knot-free rounds being used to baton for "survival" .

I've got no problem with the technique per se . Even using a "hard use " folder , if that's all you've got .

Interesting-Charts-Graphs-And-Infographs-With-Random-Knowledge-Lifestyle-Mind-Blowing-Awesome-19.jpg

yeah, but which of those work better? :)

... I've always been a fan of the teepee, since gathering random fallen branches results in many sizes, and you use the smallest in the inside and work your way to larger ones around the outside

I can't say I've tried them all

...Swedish I only bother with if I find a rotten/hollow log

Last edited:

... I've always been a fan of the teepee, since when you're gathering random fallen branches it's a great base to then load up larger split logs around the same pattern

The Swedish is undoubtedly the best.

... I've always been a fan of the teepee, since gathering random fallen branches results in many sizes, and you use the smallest in the inside and work your way to larger ones around the outside

A teepee build is very good when it is actively raining or snowing - or at least it is in my experience!

[

I've tried a bunch of them. In terms of pure performance, the Swedish works the best, but you need the tools.

The best compromise between easiness and performance is the tippie or the platform fire. You don't need to have the same sizes of branches/log, which is always a plus.

**One of Outdoor Life magazine's "It Happened To Me" stories, back around 1967(?) A guy from PA or upstate NY, I forget which, claimed he was chopping firewood from deadfall when an adult black bear charged him. He claimed he used his axe to chop the bear's head in half, hitting it between the eyes, stopping the attack. True story? Road Apple/Meadow Muffin/Bull Chips story? I don't know.

Clearly bullshit unless his bear was an isolated cub or a badly wounded one. A bear skull is very thick, especially in the forhead, then you have the adrenaline of one of the most powerful animal out there and the difficulty of hitting the right spot while a fast thing is charging at you.

I don't buy it. In a situation like that, even a rifle isn't a sure bet.

Last edited:
Wow, there’s actually a science in crafting campfires? I always thought you just throw a pile of wood in one spot and light them up, lol. Learn something new everyday.
For real?
Yeah - there's a whole bunch of different types & styles of campfire & they all perform different tasks. Spend some time with google and check out all the different ones & then give them a whirl.
Honest to God - you haven't lived until you've had some foods cooked slow over an open fire or steamed &/or baked in a covered pit & Dutch Oven.

Personally though, 99.9% of the time - I just spark up a teepee.

On topic for the OP - I don't recall seein it here so far, but, my camp "blade" is one of my wife's several Harbor Freight $5 and under machetes.
(the woman has some serious addiction to those things. She even bought a couple for our grandson as birthday presents. I've also caught her a few time eyeing my Schrade Bowie...)[/quote]​

Welcome to Campfire Building Forum ! :rolleyes:

Another vote for Tepee . Especially for salvage deadwood . All size and shapes .

Get some protection from wind / rain . Some chimney effect . Easiest . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I swear, some people would argue with a fence post over what kind of wood it's made of.

Your state can say whatever they want about the subjet, if the US were good at environmental stuff it would be known by now (they aren't).
So you're a wildlife and ecosystem scientist? If you're not, what makes you believe that you know more than those who dedicate their entire careers to this stuff? In a survival situation you aren't going to chop down every dead tree in sight, and if they are not overly concerned about the loss of one or two dead trees obviously it's no big deal in the long run.

Black bears are one of the smaller kinds of bear, we have a few in our area so I've seen them around. A bear's skull is indeed pretty thick, but living bone and dry bone are two different things, dry bone is a lot harder. There have been multiple reports up north of even a smaller hatchet to the head killing a black bear. There are reports of a 5" knife being used successfully in bear defense, obviously not against the skull but it did work. I wouldn't want to try it myself. I'd have more trouble believing the stories about the people who strangled a bear to death empty handed.

In the woods, saws seem really effective. They cut dry wood rather well where even an axe struggles. I may be wrong, but it seems like they can be somewhat fragile if used carelessly. If they go dull I'm not sure how you'd go about sharpening them quickly. I can't say I wouldn't take a saw, but I wouldn't rely on a saw alone.

When it comes to fires teepee really is a great way to do it, I've had more success with that method than others. Fire isn't the only thing you'll need to be concerned with, shelter is probably the most critical if you aren't carrying a lightweight tent. A lot of times even a big knife can cut sticks to make a shelter. Having a dry place to store tinder and kindling to allow it to dry out is critical.

I'm not a wilderness survival expert, I'm just a guy surrounded by natural resources and a willingness to learn. I am human and have made my share of blunders that sent me packing back to the house. Even if I don't know what does work, I can share some experiences of what doesn't work.

adrenaline
The axeman would have some , too ! :eek::poop:

I've probably seen way too many Cold Steel proof videos , but a full sized felling axe properly applied to a black bear's head could at least be a strong discouragement . Smallest bear species on the continent . :rolleyes:

You even have people carrying special knives on weddings...

HEY MAN! Back in september I pocket deployed a cold steel Espada XL to cut my wedding cake!

A far as a big knife replacing a hatchet I think everyone here has been spot on with all of their answers. I for one carry a tomahawk and a medium knife. The hawk rides in my daypack and the knife on my belt. Where I live and where I hunt, fish or camp that combo serves me well.

I've heated my house and camp with wood for almost 50 years, and while I have a large collection of knives of all shapes and sizes, I use an axe and a splitting maul. When I run into a particularly gnarly piece of wood, I use steel wedges, and at last resort, a chainsaw.

I live in East Tennessee around the Smokies and I usually carry my ESEE Junglas,one of 3 belt knives (S35VN ESEE 3,3V Bradford Guardian 4.5 or 12C24N Sandvik Mora Garberg) and my Silky Saw PocketBoy..I have axes,hatchets and tomahawks too but my Junglas suits me best..in the woods in my area there is more than enough dead trees and fallen limbs to take care of my fire needs.it is plenty enough to hack those limbs down to size,plus my Junglas is obviously much more efficient at clearing vegetation..I might occasionally bring a hatchet when in the winter when things are frozen but in most cases even in the dead of winter my Junglas will suffice.with that being said,Tennessee frozen isn’t the same as say Michigan frozen or upstate New York frozen.in my area winter time doesn’t mean constant freezing temperatures like it does up north.we often have some pretty mild winters around here with a lot of days in the 40s and 50s..the only time I use an axe is for chopping and splitting wood around the house..at the end of the day it all boils down to your environment and what tool works best for you in that environment

Garrett Ferrell Garrett Ferrell you carry a junglas, a belt knife and a saw into the woods? I can see why you’d leave the hatchet at home. Also spot on about mild Tennessee winters; when fires are only needed for cooking and not a constant heat source I don’t think I’d need even a saw or junglas.

no one has mentioned building a log cabin in the woods yet- I’d definitely want at least a hatchet for that. 🤪

Back