Can a man own to many Swiss Army Knives?

No....you can’t be too rich, too good lookin' or own too many SAKs. :cool:

That’s one opinion. Mine is that any or all of those things can get in your way. Too rich, and you are a target for anyone who wants some, and even if you can fend them off, it’s a never-ending issue where you don’t know if people are nice to you for yourself or your money. Also, great wealth deludes people into thinking they are entitled to anything, a form of crazy. Too good looking and people judge you on that instead of your person. Plus, looks don’t last your whole life. You have something to lose, so you wind up fretting about the inevitable signs of age instead of shrugging and moving on. Too many SAKs and you are tied to things that have to be stored, fondled, and fussed over. I believe in moderation; enough money, presentable looks and enough SAKs to get you through your days. More than that is asking for trouble.

i have paid 700 for a custom knife but my favorite knife since i was 10 has been a victorinox so no i own 2 champs 1 deluxe tinker 1 aloe forget the model so no

I currently have two SAKs, SwissChamp and SwissTool, and if I have the horrible disaster of losing both I can always buy another one.
So no use to really hoard at this moment.

Sorry when you put the words "too many" and "knives" together in the same sentence it suddenly becomes very hard for me to read. It's like suddenly the words all become greek to me. It must be some strange phenomenon because certain things like "too many days without buying a knife" appear to make perfect sense and I have no problem reading or understanding that.

Speaking of hording I have four alox Soldiers simply because once they were discontinued I panicked and picked up a few extras as back-up. Kind of silly given that the one I have used and abused for the last four years still is in great shape. Some minor scratches on the alox but no tool/blade damage and it still has the same snap as when new. It is slightly smoother after the few years of use which is a plus.

yes, especially when a good portion of the morning is spent painfully deciding between them for which one you'll carry for the day....

You always have too many SAK's until you see that one that looks like it'd be handy.

Too many occurs when you have spent so much money on them that you can't afford your rent/mortgage, or to be able to feed your family.

This is so true.
Yeah, definitely you can have too much of anything. All things in moderation. I used to over accumulate, and one day I woke up and looked at all the stuff I had that was sitting in drawers and on shelves and not being used in my everyday life, and asked myself what the heck was I doing?

After my great downsize, I felt liberated. Too many possessions can end up owning you. A couple of different SAK's is all you need. Separate your needs and wants and go out and live life by doing things with the people in your life that matter to you. Give them some of your extra SAK's.

This demonstrates mental wellness. I am not quite there yet, though I have fantasized about it. There is part of me who envies the man with 1 -3 each of guns, knives, MTs and lights. I probably have 40 guns, 130+ knives, 60 (?) MTs and SAKs, and too many lights to count. I do love them though, and ASAIK am otherwise mentally balanced, so I'm okay with my current condition.

There is a 70% chance that I will buy a Springfield XD45 3.3" Mod.2 tomorrow. And so it goes.

I have a number of SAKs. I generally use two of them (Adventurer with the side lock, and a Bantam when I carry moderns). On occasion hiking, I'll take along a One Hander Trekker. A number of years ago, my SAK saved my bacon doing a job where I had no tools with me. That job pretty much demonstrated to me that I needed to be better prepared when I'm out doing jobs alone and save myself trips to the hardware store to buy tools that I already own but don't have with me. (These are jobs that are hours away from my base. So, there is no going back to get something.)

I like your comment about fantasizing about downsizing. That is sort of where I'm at with both firearms and knives today. Hopefully I will make the decision and act. But presently, new toys keep appearing at my home monthly.

I think too many of something ultimately depends on your personality and the uses you put these tools to. I do much like Leghog. One book shelf item that I craved for years was an old Alidade (quality stuff). I finally found one that interested me and it has mostly resided inside it's wood box since. I had such plans for that instrument! But honestly I love to handle it from time to time. Technology marches on and these instruments are no longer used for mapping.

Last edited:
You do not own "too many" knives unless you exceed the formula N+1.
N = the number of knives you currently own, including any purchases that have not been delivered.
No matter how many knives you order, you have not exceeded N+1.

Very cool & apropos question....and good replies throughout this thread.

My first and oldest SAK is close to 34 years old now. I bought three new SAKs in 2016, and I now have plenty of these great knives/tools. I'm pretty certain that I'll not own any of the three newer knives as long, since in 34 years I'd be beyond age 100!!
;)

I am focusing on downsizing both my small knife collection, as well as my firearms in the gun cabinet. Recently I have felt that adding to either or both of these collections has me in "bondage." Don't like to feel that way. This year I've already gifted two new/unused knives, and both friends were most appreciative. I plan to do more of that; for me, it's a good way to be released from that bondage. At the same time, I've reduced my firearms collection to a total of five (3 handguns and 2 long guns), and I will not add any more.

I still very much enjoy my small collections, but there needs to be some good adjusts. For me, I'm definitely on the right path now. Thanks for the interesting and helpful discussions here.

I have a question Can a man own to many Swiss Army Knives?

I can't see downsizing a gun accumulation to 5 total just like I can see doing that with knives. I think I have bought that many knives this year so far. Downsizing a firearm accumulation takes a lot of time. First thing is to access current values and then decide on how you might sell them. At one point I was ready to just take a large proportion of them to a single collector dealer and make my best deal there. Then I resisted. I don't want to be locked into something like that unless I'm on my death bed.

With knives, I suspect it is much easier as the dollars aren't as large.

I think I'd agree with 22-rimfire's assessment that unloading (pun intended) "...a firearm accumulation takes a lot of time." Definitely would be easier with knives, as 22-rimfire again said, "...the dollars aren't as large." My knife collection now totals 19 blades. [BTW, plan to keep the four SAKs....some other brands will be let go]. The knives are still going to move out until I get to my special, select ones that I won't let go.

Finally, I started building my firearms cabinet in Aug 2012 and peaked at 19 firearms. Today, the cabinet is down to 5, but uncertain how to assess that downsizing movement. Firearms may get smaller yet, but not at the moment.

Just looking forward to being free from "bondage" to any collections or things!!

My firearm situation is much more difficult with 3-5x as many at your peak. Most are Colt revolvers with the majority being 22's. Most of my shooting has been with 22 rifles, and S&W or Ruger revolvers in the last couple of years.

Knives are just small change, but they do pile up.

Back