Off Topic Can anyone give me a good critique on the CRK Pacific?

I'm thinking with my $600 nixon fun bucks I'll get a CRK Pacific because I need a robust and cool looking big knife for outdoors/edc. I was thinking about other options for that category but I keep going back to the Pacific because of style and materials AND I already have a Spyderco Schempp Roc in VG-10 and H-1 lol. Can anyone give me what they think about it?

Thanks

Since no one is offering, I will give you the little that I have.

I have a work associate who had me make a custom sheath for one, so I only really handled it in that capacity and am familiar with using other CR knives. The Pacific I handled was very beautifully made. The scales are very grippy and I couldn't detect any blemish in the machining or the finish (truly flawless, which is why I remember it so well). The blade still had its factory edge and was hair-popping sharp. It easily flows between forward and reverse grip. It is DEFINITELY a fighting knife. I wouldn't classify it as an outdoors or an EDC knife at all unless you are planning on stabbing animals or not planning on using it much. The handle just isn't intended to be used for prolonged length of time which is something that I would want in an outdoor/EDC knife. I wouldn't call the handle uncomfortable, but I wouldn't want quarter an animal, baton, or whittle anything with it because it would certainly not feel good over time.

One thing that should be noted: the hardening of the S35VN is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than normal (I assume to avoid chipping), which will negatively impact the edge retention. If edge retention isn't a big deal for you and it's more of a knife-on-your-hip thing, I wouldn't sweat it.

Hope this helps.

One thing that should be noted: the hardening of the S35VN is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than normal (I assume to avoid chipping), which will negatively impact the edge retention. If edge retention isn't a big deal for you and it's more of a knife-on-your-hip thing, I wouldn't sweat it.

Hope this helps.

Yeah this helps, if I get more input on it I'll splurge. I'm being cautious about spending because we're not out of the woods yet for industry cutbacks just because execs can make an excuse to can people. As I said my other outdoors knife is a schempp roc and vg10 so 1) I don't need need a new knife but the Pacific will defeintly help with the negatives on that and 2) as you probably know that isn't the best at edge retention either. The only knives I've witnessed that hold an edge for edge purposes are high vanadiums and REX series.

Can you give me a clue how soft we're talking though? I absolutely hate D2, it's so weak. Is it at least better than that?

After a quick look on the Reeves site I couldn't find it. I looked it up at the time and I remember it being something like 55-57 (the same as the Green Beret). I can't really comment on the comparison to D2--I've never used S35VN so soft. Maybe it is incredible and CR's HT is magic and violates all of my expectations... But I am not willing to spend $350 to figure that out when there are plenty of other knives to buy with HT's that I know are solid.

One more thing I should mention: the contours of the scales are REALLY cool. Details are really hard to see in the pictures. Probably the most elaborate micarta machining I have seen (next to CPK).

I handled one a while back and really liked it as art but as a tool I prefer a Carothers.
I realize there are other options, but I've had my eye on this for a good while and never heard a negative when I first looked, and don't hear any now.
After a quick look on the Reeves site I couldn't find it. I looked it up at the time and I remember it being something like 55-57 (the same as the Green Beret). I can't really comment on the comparison to D2--I've never used S35VN so soft. Maybe it is incredible and CR's HT is magic and violates all of my expectations... But I am not willing to spend $350 to figure that out when there are plenty of other knives to buy with HT's that I know are solid.
The D2 knife I've used is quoted 55-62 HRC, while another weak knife I've used was 154CM that's 58-61. However both of those I was not a fan of because they didn't do box after box after box after box that my work kicks out. With a big fixed like this at 40 degrees I won't have an issue because it won't meet the same work, and also in interviews Reeves said he doesn't use high hardness because it'll be more difficult to sharpen in the field, and he's right. It gives me a good excuse to find who makes the sharpening rods for Spyderco again, and finally order a box to build in to a sheath. Centurian...Gladiator...something like that.

I realize there are other options, but I've had my eye on this for a good while and never heard a negative when I first looked, and don't hear any now.
I am certainly not telling you not to buy it. It will be an awesome knife no doubt.

I have been fighting the urge to buy a Nyala Insingo for years. I just have so many other knives that fill that niche and I don’t want to be a collector.

I recently sold mine. I dont regret it because it saw 0 use in the 5 years + I had it, but It's one of those knives I will always remember.

It's big, the edge is thin, the saber grind is excellent for cutting. You get a prybar that cuts like a kitchen knife. It's gorgeous, and even though it's sold as "black micarta + grey coating" in person it has that characteristic grayish green and grayish blue color many CR knives have, which is gorgeous.

The use of GunKote is a big plus. I always know when a company knows what its doing when they use GunKote instead of CeraKote or derivatives. It is superbly well balanced, and feels lighter than it is. A joy to hold and handle, Bill Harsey truly is a master at the craft.

The tip is a bit needle thin. It will stab meat perfectly but I was always afraid of breaking it (never happened). To me, such a brittle tip defeats the purpose of a very thick knife, so I wish the tip was either thicker, or the knife thinner.

Much much better than the Green Beret (I've had both), and the handle, although big, will fit many sizes of hand comfortably, unlike the Green Beret.Due to the thin edge, thick spine, and long, curved handle, it is an excellent chopper of green / soft woods.

In the end I sold it for funds, as I wasnt really using it for anything and its place in the collection didnt make much sense to me (too big for EDC, too delicate to abuse). It would have been an excellent wilderness blade for sure, I just have many other excellent knives I'm not afraid of beating on.

My only dislike, other than the famed test by Noss where the Green Beret shattered to pieces, would be that I do not like the edge/knife length ratio. If you cover/ignore the non-edge parts of the knife, the edge makes up for less than 1/2 of the total knife, and it has a huge choil. I like blades with at least 1/2 of their length being the edge, if not more, with the Pacific you're carrying a big-a$$ knife with the edge length of a Benchmade Nimravus (a much smaller, lighter knife), and they're both oriented for the same use.

I handled one a while back and really liked it as art but as a tool I prefer a Carothers.

This sums up perfectly my feeling on it , I would look into Spartan Blades for tougher, harder use tool with the same design philosophy and same designer, which I know for a fact is tough as nails (I've also had one).

Last edited:
I would also like to add that CRKs do not lose value. The Pacific is a very interesting knife, and I'd recommend anyone to hold one in hand to truly see its balance magic. If you get one and decide it's not for you, you can always resell it or trade it no problem, plenty of folks will be happy to indulge.

Reactions: DMG
With a spine thickness of 0.22", I don't want it...
I figure 5/32" is about a thick a blade as I would carry in the woods...
Use a hatchet or saw for thicker stuff.

On the YouTube channel “All Outdoor” you can still find the old videos of Noss beating the hell out of a bunch of knives. As mentioned above, CRK did less-well than other brands (with 2 different models breaking under admittedly extreme use). Their warranty seems to reflect somewhat less confidence than others too (doesn’t cover prying or use as a “chisel” for instance, and I kinda suspect they’d consider using a wooden baton to be abuse). It’s a shame because the Pacific in particular is a beautiful design. Fine for messing around outdoors I’m sure, but if you’re looking for a knife that you can beat through stuff in an emergency, maybe look elsewhere.
Esse and Swamp Rat/Scrap Yard both come to mind as companies that have great reputations for tough knives and warranties that are essentially: if you break it, we’ll replace it.

Last edited:
The main reason I never bought one was because of the exposed perimeter tang around the scales.
If I'm going to spend that sort of $ on a knife, I want a "proper" handle with flush fitting scales that is comfortable to use for long periods.

The Spartan Harsey models are flush fitting (aka normal.)

Back