Kydex Can anyone recommend a good starter kit for making kydex sheaths?

Gastonknife

Gold Member
OK, so looking to try my hand at making some kydex sheaths and/or covers for some axes, etc. Just need a basic kit to get started, not a knife maker, just want to make some things for some of my collection.
Any input appreciated.

I've been researching this as well, and can't seem to find a premade "kit". Lots of great YT videos on home made presses and the materials required. Probably the most expensive pieces are the arbor press and the rivet dies to stamp the rivets. Someone on YT said you can use a drill press instead of an arbor press.

Basically, you need to build yourself a press, then get the materials you want to use. The rest is just fit and finish.

Appreciate some of the comments folks. Was hoping somebody would sell some type of a " starter kit" with some of the mentioned items.

Even a list of the basic tools and materials need to get started would be great. thanks

Appreciate some of the comments folks. Was hoping somebody would sell some type of a " starter kit" with some of the mentioned items.

Even a list of the basic tools and materials need to get started would be great. thanks

I started out with a basic kit from Tandy for leatherworking. I added an Italian Twist Press #3 with the setters and snap attachment sets. The hand setters work ok for leather but I haven't tried them with Kydex, but my Twist Press works good with Kydex and leather. And I just added more tools as I could afford to.

There are different molding presses available. Some people use vacuum presses but I have never tried one myself. There are some kits here that might help you out. They have some good stuff and I am happy with everything that I have bought from them. I bought my 8" X 24" steel plate Kydex/Leather press from them also. Along with hardware and other stuff.

I just purchased some thermoplastic foam (8x12x1) on Ebay and will be building a press with 2x10x12 pieces of wood and attach a hinge to one side. You'll need clamps as well. Lots of YTs on how to do that.

You'll need some sheets of Kydex, which many knife suppliers sell. Thickness is up to you really.
You'll need some rivets, and some rivet dies. As mentioned above, if you want to get fancy, you can buy an arbor press, but can use a drill press as well.

You'll also need something to heat up the Kydex. Most use a small toaster oven or a griddle.

Then you will need a drill and bit to drill the holes for the rivets. And sand paper to finish the job.

Honestly, there are a ton of great tutorials on YT that will go over all this and lots more. Good luck!

I haven't "stepped up" my system yet.
I've only made sheaths for myself, not for sale. Yet.
So far I've been happy with the results.

I started with minimal equipment.

* hand held heat gun.
* Two square foam pieces (I got mine from packing scrap, Not Styrofoam)
* .250" drill bit, and Drill.
* Strong shear or something to cut plastic.
* Sanding block/files

I bought a die set for setting rivets, but first started out using just Chicago screws. Then you don't have to worry about riviting.

I still don't have an arbor press, I set rivets with a hammer.

Best advice I can give, so far....
Just Do It.
It's easy!

-Tape blades for safety, and it helps with sizing the thermo mold.
- Use thinner sheets (.060" or less) it forms easier, more accurate.
- I use beer/pop can (cardboard) cases to practice my designs.

Hardest part is figuring out how You want to wear/carry your knife?
What works for you, what's comfortable?
Making the sheath is the easy part.

Buy more kydex than you need. You will find more sheaths to make.

I haven't "stepped up" my system yet.
I've only made sheaths for myself, not for sale. Yet.
So far I've been happy with the results.

I started with minimal equipment.

* hand held heat gun.
* Two square foam pieces (I got mine from packing scrap, Not Styrofoam)
* .250" drill bit, and Drill.
* Strong shear or something to cut plastic.
* Sanding block/files

I bought a die set for setting rivets, but first started out using just Chicago screws. Then you don't have to worry about riviting.

I still don't have an arbor press, I set rivets with a hammer.

Best advice I can give, so far....
Just Do It.
It's easy!

-Tape blades for safety, and it helps with sizing the thermo mold.
- Use thinner sheets (.060" or less) it forms easier, more accurate.
- I use beer/pop can (cardboard) cases to practice my designs.

Hardest part is figuring out how You want to wear/carry your knife?
What works for you, what's comfortable?
Making the sheath is the easy part.

Buy more kydex than you need. You will find more sheaths to make.

helpful, thank you

Back