Can I baton a Victorinox?

I've done up to 40 mile trips with an Estwing 26". Even at 3.5 lbs (a 1/4 of my pack weight) it's a lighter burden than not having a fire when you need it.

To sum it up, one should not don't baton a Victorinox, or any folder for that matter.

A axe or hatchet is preferred for large amounts of wood processing. I thought that was the only way to go but, from my own experience, batoning makes sense in some circumstances. When hiking significant distances for example, I'm carrying a saw and a capable fixed blade because I'd rather spend my weight budget on something else. I also found that batoning is a relatively more controlled process, with less chance for things to just around and lead to injury. All of that said, I do find that batoning anything thicker than 2-3 inches is silly.

Last edited:
If you INSIST on trying it, which is probably gonna happen...then make sure that the blade is loose and NOT locked. In that way, you can keep all of the force on the top of the spine...without putting undue pressure on the lock itself.
Of course, the previous posts are correct...buy a proper fixed blade.

Nailed it. You can baton with ANY folder. Just the way you said. Might want to keep the tip lower than the other end. You can do it with an Opinel if so inclined.

Is a folder the best thing to baton with? Of course not.
Will batonning a folder destroy it? If you "make sure that the blade is loose and NOT locked"....nope.

As others have said, I wouldn't baton any SAK folder. Get yourself an inexpensive fixed blade and bang away on it (Mora Companion). You can break those too, but it would take some effort. Car camping, just take along a hatchet or axe. Folding saws work very well for breaking down smaller wood for a fire. SAK saw blades work pretty well up to about an inch diameter material.

Uh... what ever you like... :(
The SAK is the tool in your pack, bushcraft stuff is best left to fixies, check out your tube...

Saw on sak is good,dont baton with folder.I do not understand people that promote batoning,its almost never needed.If you wanna do it get a large bowie ,machete or hatchet and baton

From the little outdoor experience I know of, never a folder! Forget a SAK! I tried to baton my SAK Classic, swept up the dust.
No I didn't. ;)

Ruzster - I LOVE your dog. I always love it when they cock their head give you that look.

Thanks, drail. I really appreciate that. He was a very good boy. Lost him a few years back (natural causes) but I still dream about him. What's that they say about trying to be the person your dog things you already are? I can only hope. He was my bestest buddy and I miss him every day. A bird dog that loved birds - dead or alive. Never left a mark on one. Thanks for the sentiment.

We had to put down our Black Lab last year and that is the one of the hardest things you can ever do. She was suffering so we knew it was the right thing to do, but man, it just tears your heart out. She was my best buddy...... She also had a very soft mouth but if you turned your back on her for 2 seconds she would steal your ham sandwich right off the counter and then give you that look -"What sandwich? I don't know what you are talking about...."

Thanks, drail. I really appreciate that. He was a very good boy. Lost him a few years back (natural causes) but I still dream about him. What's that they say about trying to be the person your dog things you already are? I can only hope. He was my bestest buddy and I miss him every day. A bird dog that loved birds - dead or alive. Never left a mark on one. Thanks for the sentiment.
Same here... I think he actually understood English! 100 lb black lab mix, took a plastic dog door out once thinking my wife was in trouble.....

Same here... I think he actually understood English! 100 lb black lab mix, took a plastic dog door out once thinking my wife was in trouble.....
Had to carry him into the vet his legs were so bad, made it to 13 though.....

Back