Can I Bring a Balisong Trainer Across the Border?

I live in BC, Canada and I want to get this balisong trainer. If you check the page, though, it states it doesn't ship to Canada. I have a PO Box in the USA in Blaine, Washington. I was wondering if it would be legal to bring this trainer aross the border?

I live in BC, Canada and I want to get this balisong trainer. If you check the page, though, it states it doesn't ship to Canada. I have a PO Box in the USA in Blaine, Washington. I was wondering if it would be legal to bring this trainer aross the border?
Balisong trainers aren't illegal in Canada, provided that the blade is not made of steel without holes. It needs the holes to be close to the "edge" so that it cannot be sharpened. If the blade is unsharpened aluminum it should be okay. Thats my understanding, but I'm not a lawyer.

You can but should you? When the CBSA folks see stuff like that they tend to pick your vehicle apart and worst case flag your passport so you get the 3rd degree every time you cross.

If you do a bit of online searching you're going to find stores in Vancouver selling Bali trainers along with the combs, and pens, and bottle openers. I've seen that thing before. I believe it's from Counter Strike so who knows maybe even gamestop will have some cosplay stuff.

What I would do instead is go pick it up in washington, take the handles off the blade. Then I would ship the blade into canada in one box and either drive across the border with the handles or ship the handles across in a separate box.

Then it will get across for sure.

What I would do instead is go pick it up in washington, take the handles off the blade. Then I would ship the blade into canada in one box and either drive across the border with the handles or ship the handles across in a separate box.

Then it will get across for sure.
Pretty messed up when you feel the need to sneak LEGAL things into Canada!:rolleyes::(

Pretty messed up when you feel the need to sneak LEGAL things into Canada!:rolleyes::(

Yes you can take a bali trainer straight across the border. Also yes CBSA agents are unpredictable and are often poorly versed in the law.

I worry that they will see something that looks like a bali and decide to err on the side lf caution.

Yes you can take a bali trainer straight across the border. Also yes CBSA agents are unpredictable and are often poorly versed in the law.

I worry that they will see something that looks like a bali and decide to err on the side lf caution.
If you declare it, they will be much nicer than if they just find it.

It's not that the agents are poorly versed. They work off an "if there's smoke there's fire" model. They double down on that for any sort of weapon. That's what's got us in our current mess with flipper knives.

If they find parts for a bali, or drug stuff, or pistol magazines you're gonna have a bad day.

Deciding to risk getting on the watch list for a video game toy foolish.

There are certainly things that are not illegal that are not strictly legal either. While Canadian law shouldn't cover things that are in that gray zone, unless a crime is being committed, law enforcement generally doesn't see it that way.

Back