Can I dye black G10?

I have some custom scales for my pm2 and I am thinking about dying the stock (black) scales a nice orange color. I am planning to use rit dye but do i need to get the black off the scales first? and if so, how?

G10 is tough to dye.
Especially black G10. I personally dont think it will work. You may be better off having scales made for it. Or buying aftermarket ones.

I have some custom scales for my pm2 and I am thinking about dying the stock (black) scales a nice orange color. I am planning to use rit dye but do i need to get the black off the scales first? and if so, how?
You can't get the black off it's black thru and thru.
You can go darker meaning you can change orange to red or black. Changing black to orange is not going to work.

You can only go darker. Doesn't get darker than black. If the black was only on the surface you could sand it off but that isn't the case with the pm2 scales.

Try scratching the G10 in an inconspicuous place and see if the black comes off. Some G10 is only dyed on the surface and can be buffed off (wear a respirator if you do not want to get sick and die a long time from now). Buck, for example, on the 110 Pro, has black G10 that is dyed on the surface and occasionally you will see a knife where buffing has taken off the color. If your knife is a Spyderco, don't bother.

Try scratching the G10 in an inconspicuous place and see if the black comes off. Some G10 is only dyed on the surface and can be buffed off (wear a respirator if you do not want to get sick and die a long time from now). Buck, for example, on the 110 Pro, has black G10 that is dyed on the surface and occasionally you will see a knife where buffing has taken off the color. If your knife is a Spyderco, don't bother.
He says it is a pm2 in the first post. So you are right that he shouldn't even bother.

The dye is IN the G10 on the PM2, as I remember, so, no.

Id like the OP to soak the scales in bleach for an hour and see what happens. Im pretty sure nothin as well but now I'm set on finding out. :)

Soak them in bleach. See what happens. Post pictures.

Back