Can I make a hunting knife from really thick 5160?

redsquid2

Красивы Поросенок
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
IMG_8574.jpegIMG_8574.jpeg

I have this blank of 5160. My first question is Can it be tempered hard enough for acceptable edge holding?

My second question is whether it is too thick at .210”. Like if I hollow grind it on a 10” wheel because that’s the only wheel I’ve got.

Thank you,
Andy/redsquid2

Sure, go for it. 'especially if you taper it both ways, tang and distal. Do you have a furnace, or are you trying to the HT in a forge?

Yes, it can be hardened and tempered to make a knife. .210" is really thick. I would suggest grinding the whole blank thinner by almost half.

If you do it full thickness, it will be a heavy weight blade, as it is twice as thick as a normal hunting knife. Tapering the blade and hollow grinding will help.
You will definitely want to do something to lighten the tang. Instead of tapering the tang like Andy suggested, you could drill it full of holes to "Swiss Cheese" the tang.

HT will be austenitize at 1500-1525°F for 15 minutes and quench in oil. Temper at 375-400°F for two two-hour tempers. That will give you a blade around Rc59.
5160 is not a good steel to HT in a forge or with a torch.

Sure, go for it. 'especially if you taper it both ways, tang and distal. Do you have a furnace, or are you trying to the HT in a forge?
Thank you for your reply and I don’t have a furnace or forge. I would just send it out for HT.

Yes, it can be hardened and tempered to make a knife. .210" is really thick. I would suggest grinding the whole blank thinner by almost half.

If you do it full thickness, it will be a heavy weight blade, as it is twice as thick as a normal hunting knife. Tapering the blade and hollow grinding will help.
You will definitely want to do something to lighten the tang. Instead of tapering the tang like Andy suggested, you could drill it full of holes to "Swiss Cheese" the tang.

HT will be austenitize at 1500-1525°F for 15 minutes and quench in oil. Temper at 375-400°F for two two-hour tempers. That will give you a blade around Rc59.
5160 is not a good steel to HT in a forge or with a torch.
Thank you for all of that information Stacy. I guess thinning it all out is the way to go. Or at least the distal taper and the Swiss cheese tang.

I think a tapered tang is beyond my skill level

I have a question about your avatar sub-name.
Красивы Поросенок (krasiva porosenok) translates as "Beautiful Piglet". I am sure there is a story there!

Back