Can I Own a Katana Without a Permit in CA?

I've always adored and admired katanas, and I finally have the luxury to own one. I have done my research on knife laws in California, but I just want to make sure one last time before purchasing a katana. Knowing me, I could have missed some major points regarding the laws.

No, I don't plan on carrying it around in public or even in private. I only plan on having it as a display. I know the knife laws in CA aren't as nearly as strict as the gun laws. So, I don't need a permit or a license to own a katana as a display, right? I believe anyone can carry around sheathed knives without permits, with exceptions of course. So same as Katanas (with the exception of the Zatoichi style Katanas) , right? It's legal for me to own a katana for display purposes without a permit or license?

No permit necessary. Perfectly legal to own and display.

Also legal to carry, unless you are in a city or county that has blade length limits on openly carried blades. Of course one should not be surprised if they meet some members of law enforcement while carrying a katana in public.

And you are correct, swords disguised as canes are completely illegal.

As I have recently read. Size is no longer a factor as long as its closed.

As I have recently read. Size is no longer a factor as long as its closed.
Yes, that's true, depending on where you live in CA.

I wasn't talking about size though. I was talking about a closed folder vs. an open/locked folder or a fixed blade knife, carried concealed.

Not that I want to see the Federal Government involved...
... But uniformity of laws amongst all the States would be handy.

Not that I want to see the Federal Government involved...
... But uniformity of laws amongst all the States would be handy.
Agree with you there... We would be just as likely to get California or New Yorks restrictions as Alabama or Tennresee's freedoms. No thanks. Let each state decide.

Double check to make sure there is a CA Prop 65 warning. Otherwise, it's illegal. :rolleyes:

Back