Can I reverse direction on a single phase motor

I dont have better details of your motor. Take this with a caution.

It appears you have a dual voltage capacitor start motor with centrifugal cut out.
That tan terminal thingy is a series to parallel hi-low voltage switch. Presently its in parallel (low voltage) position
Typically this motor wires will have numbers 1,2,3,4,5,8. (6&7 dont exist).
Reversing this type motor, wires 5 & 8 are swapped.

A couple odd things.
Its non-numbered green wires, a fair bet they are numbers 5&8. During installation, one should always check rotation before connecting to the machine. So if initially running backward, one would simply swap 5 & 8. So no real problem there.

But you mention its wires are numbered left to right "1234". Thats odd regards to how the hi-low switch should work.
Are you sure the numbers are not actually 1,3,2,4 ?

Btw,
Here is typical diagram of type of motor I think you have.
http://i.imgur.com/rDnLKCv.png

Last edited:
I can't really read it in the photos. Can you make out the actual model and serial numbers of the motor? Can you post them here?

You may be able to call Prestolite and possibly find some additional info as well.

The tag is a bit hard to read but the model number is either 911982-01 or 9\1982-01. There doesn't seem to be a serial number but it says Type: CS BTJ7 . So that might be it. From some of the reading I have done it seems like these might have been used in fuel pumps at gas stations. Might be true, it certainly has a distinct fuel smell when I pulled the thing open.

It is definitely numbered 1,2,3,4 from left to right. And you are right about that switch being the switch between 110/220 in the low position now. It also has an off position for the switch.

So can I do any damage by switching the two green wires? Reasonable chance that doing that will make it run the other direction?

Single phase motors that can be changed rotation CLEARLY mark how to do on the name plate rating or on the wiring cover.

So can I do any damage by switching the two green wires? Reasonable chance that doing that will make it run the other direction?
I doubt it will hurt anything to briefly try.
But at this point, I suggest you get an ohm meter and determine what the motor windings really do and compare that to typical motor designs.

Back