Can I special order from a dealer or do I need to stalk the sites?

I've decided I want an XM-18 but I want a very specific one. It seems like these are pretty tough to come by in general. They seem to sell out pretty quickly so finding a very specific model might be difficult. Do any dealers take special orders for specific models? I realize that I may have to wait a while if I go this route but I'd rather wait so I don't have to settle for something else or constantly stock check a bunch of web sites hoping to find it in stock.

I've decided I want an XM-18 but I want a very specific one. It seems like these are pretty tough to come by in general. They seem to sell out pretty quickly so finding a very specific model might be difficult. Do any dealers take special orders for specific models? I realize that I may have to wait a while if I go this route but I'd rather wait so I don't have to settle for something else or constantly stock check a bunch of web sites hoping to find it in stock.

I don't know of any Hinderer dealers that take special orders (I could be wrong). What exactly are you looking for? I might be able to shed some light on what you are asking.

Are you a leo, military or other first responder? If so contact Rob Orlando and he'll let you know when the next batch of 3.5 spanto grinds are coming up for direct sale.

All you mentioned is standard. So if you're not one of the above then your best bet is to find a 3.5 spanto and grab a blue scale from their site and sell the one that comes on the one you purchased.

I too like the blue ones. I might grab one to go on my 3" slicer.

Oh, and good luck with your search. They are easy to change up once you get them in hand.

Last edited:
I do not quality for the direct sale. I hadn't thought about changing the scales if I find one that meets all of my other requirements. At least that's one less variable to work with. Thanks for the advice.

Scales are replaceable. Buy whatever spanto flipper you can find and then buy a blue scale.

Second that. I have a slicer that has had 4 different scales and different colored hardware since I got it. The ability to customize is one of the things most of us like about our XMs. Good luck in your search, you should be able to find one that is new for a reasonable price (30-40% over direct order pricing these days).

Thanks for the info. Are there any particular dealers that I should watch? Maybe some get more than others?

If I were you I would stalk to Production knives for sale by individuals on this forum and buy one from one of the members here.

Yea I'm watching the forums too but I also wouldn't mind getting my first XM from a dealer.

Couple of Suggestions:
Access the Authorized Dealer list on RHK.com, check them out and don't be afraid to give a call to some and say, "I read your site but do you know of anyone looking to thin their herd or an inbound". Talk is cheap and so are questions.
Keep an eye open in peoples (regulars) sig lines, check out the exchange (Paid Memberships are inexpensive and worth it IMO)
Don't be afraid to email a regular as well, especially one with a seemingly large collection and put feelers out.
Once paid, Members put WTB's in their sig lines for all sorts of stuff and I imagine receive PM's and emails.
Paying to Play is kinda like Fishing - tough to catch dinner with just a string tied around your toe and no hook or bait :)

Thanks for the info. Are there any particular dealers that I should watch? Maybe some get more than others?

Given the option, I would buy from
1) Hinderer direct
2) An enthusiast on the forums
3) A dealer
in exactly that order.

I did end up buying one with black scales from a member in the forums. I'll order the color scales I want and they both should arrive early next week.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Akrapacs, I was thinking about sending you a couple of links to sale threads that people have posted in the last couple days. VERY reasonably priced spantos, including the black one you picked up. Congrats! I am sure you will enjoy it. The blue scale is available on the RHK website, fyi.

I did end up buying one with black scales from a member in the forums. I'll order the color scales I want and they both should arrive early next week.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Congrats! You will love that knife.

The knife arrived today and I've got to say that I love it. I'm glad it wasn't as tough to come across what I wanted like I thought it was going to be. There is one problem though. Now that I have one I suspect it's not going to be the last one I buy :D

Thanks again for the advise!

The knife arrived today and I've got to say that I love it. I'm glad it wasn't as tough to come across what I wanted like I thought it was going to be. There is one problem though. Now that I have one I suspect it's not going to be the last one I buy :D

Thanks again for the advise!

Congrats & welcome to the addiction!:cool:

Back