Can someone do some testing for me?

I bought a giant bar of O1 steel from Amtek a while ago, at my current production rate I figure it is 8 years worth of steel for me. Anyway, with the recent talk of inferior steel, I want to check if this is good to go. It was pretty cheap steel, but I haven't had any real issues, but it is nagging at me and I would like to settle it in my mind. I would like to heat treat several coupons and send to someone to hardness test for me. I will pay of course. Not sure if this is where I post such a request?

Pretty sure this is a good place to post... Although you might check around your local area.

If there's a machine shop, they may have the ability to do hardness testing for you...

I will do it but im in canada so the shipping would likely set you back $15. If you do it I would do a few with different recipes and write down what they were on each coupon.

FWIW, I know the guys at Amtek, and have purchased and used the generic O1 they sell.

I've never had any issues heat treating the material. (With O1, it's very important to soak at a controlled temperature.) I check hardness after quench and after 2 draws to verify the heat treat - they've always been right on spec.

I like Amtek for the extensive stock sizes, the surface ground steel, and the price. They have a good thing going there I think, you don't hear much about them though for some reason. You have to calculate the cost per square inch though, because the price fluctuates in bizarre ways as the dimensions change. When I ordered, I ordered 2 bars at 8" wide, I forget the length. Anyway, they emailed me and asked if I wanted one solid bar because it was same shipping cost but slightly cheaper. Good people!

I bought a giant bar of O1 steel from Amtek a while ago, at my current production rate I figure it is 8 years worth of steel for me. Anyway, with the recent talk of inferior steel, I want to check if this is good to go. It was pretty cheap steel, but I haven't had any real issues, but it is nagging at me and I would like to settle it in my mind. I would like to heat treat several coupons and send to someone to hardness test for me. I will pay of course. Not sure if this is where I post such a request?
Randy, I'd be more than happy to Rc test some coupons you mail to me. Put in padded envelope and ship 1st class for <$5 for 16 oz or less. You're in north Alabama (what part?) while I'm in South Alabama. I grew up in the NW corner of Alabama and went to school at FSC (now UNA) more years ago than I like to count {g}. In fact, I might be in Muscle Shoals later this week.

Feel free to email me at sailingtoo at gmail.com if you wish.

Back