Can someone suggest a good fire steel?

I just ordered the Gränsfors Wildlife Hatchet and now I want to add fire steel to the pack. I found several different options on amazon, but not sure which one to go with.

Open to suggestions!

Thanks

So, this may be old info, so take it for what its worth. There are only a few companies that actually manufacture the firesteel material itself, so unless you are buying an LMF, or from a place like firesteel or goinggear, you may as well buy a few cheap ones that are obviously different, and are cheap(yes cheap) and see what you get.
I've had both good luck and bad in each case. Basically it seems that you can buy more robust and corrosion resistant steels which spark a little less, or ones that spark more, but are consequently more reactive. I buy my blanks from some rando in china, but the ones I need to rely on, I spend the little extra to get from someone with a reputation. I've gotten a couple from china that were very hard and had very little spark. I've also got a Gobspark that is a fantastic steel, but in the humidity where I am, its 1/3rd gone due to just corrosion. But I'll pay to buy another one when the time comes because its stuck to an ESEE firekit handle and that works really well for me.
Hope that helps you in your search, also the striker is 50% of the equasion, so get a good one, I like the carbide strikers that firesteel sells, but there are others. there is a lot better available than a bit of saw-blade, and most of the chineese strikers are too soft to work well.

432px-BIC_lighter_2008-12-31.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Zieg

Supposedly, most are about the same thing as far as the rod. I've had decent enough luck with the larger light my fire rod. Fair price and easy to find. I'm almost through mine so my next one will probably just be a rod without a handle. I like to use the firesteel to start the fireplace as practice.

Not all firesteels are the same...

You can even make your own.

Note the first vid is sponsored.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with the firesteel.com steels. Also the Gobspark Armageddon. The GA is more of a pack firesteel than a sheath steel, as it has a large handle designed to work with gloves.

ETA: I shouldn't forget to mention the ones by goinggear.com either. The owner is a member here, and their steels throw a good spark.

I've had good luck with the firesteel.com steels. Also the Gobspark Armageddon. The GA is more of a pack firesteel than a sheath steel, as it has a large handle designed to work with gloves.

ETA: I shouldn't forget to mention the ones by goinggear.com either. The owner is a member here, and their steels throw a good spark.
Sadly Marshal (Storl) passed on near the end of 2017, but the family is keeping the place running. I'm not sure if they have much presence here anymore, but BF was instrumental in him being able to start it up as far I know. Still worth remembering though, and supporting.

Sadly Marshal (Storl) passed on near the end of 2017, but the family is keeping the place running. I'm not sure if they have much presence here anymore, but BF was instrumental in him being able to start it up as far I know. Still worth remembering though, and supporting.

I remember that now. :(

He was a really good guy. Actually I think it was your thread about his passing that first brought it to my attention at the time, but I had forgotten when I posted above. I feel bad that it slipped my mind.

Man we've sure lost a lot of good folks in the last few years. I think I'll send for a couple of their misch metal steels just because.

I remember that now. :(

He was a really good guy. Actually I think it was your thread about his passing that first brought it to my attention at the time, but I had forgotten when I posted above. I feel bad that it slipped my mind.

Man we've sure lost a lot of good folks in the last few years. I think I'll send for a couple of their misch metal steels just because.
Its a fluid crowd, and its hard to keep track of everyone. To be honest I almost forgot as well, but something just didn't sit right in my memory, so I double checked. I think you can be forgiven.

Hemlock makes a great, long lasting firesteel with magnesium ferrocium and pakka wood so you have everything you need in one firesteel.

Attachments

• 31w4DgaevAL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    31w4DgaevAL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
I like this little guy from Exotac. It has a waterproof aluminum capsule up top that you can put tinder in (I use Exotac quickLIGHT in mine) and has a threaded, replaceable fero rod (two different lengths available). You can get them (the capsule) in several different colors and they recently partnered with Benchmade to make a version for them. Pretty nifty in my opinion.

9GUUbhJ.jpg

Last edited:
eBay seller bushcraftsupplyac has several handmade ferro rod models, he has nice leather strop boards and some other cool handmade things as well. I’ve bought several of his walnut handled ferro rods, all top notch kit at a fair price.

Back