Can the VG-10 take the heat?

I've laways heard great things about VG10 in this regard. if you're really concerned, go with the Spyderco Salt.

I can heartily recommend the D4 in VG-10! I've carried one every day, IWB, for three years, and it gets exposed to plenty of sweat. No problems with corrosion. The blade gets wet with sweat, and I just wipe it dry. Never a drop of oil.

I can't give the same favorable report of my D4 in ZDP-189. I carried it briefly (less than a month) and it got spots of corrosion. :grumpy:

VG-10 is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. :thumbup:

Yeah, I posted this on the SpyderCo forum as well.
I just trying to get as many people input before buying my FIRST $30+ knife.....hahaa

And thanks for taking the time to post again here.
Every little bit of info helps.

I think you're getting your money's worth here. Lots of good, real-world feedback, from what I see. It's evolving into a pretty informative thread. I like VG-10 too, but mine's never quite been really 'tested' in saltwater environs (I'm in Central Texas; it's very hot & occasionally quite humid), as it seems many others here are. I'm encouraged & impressed by what I'm reading here so far. :thumbup:

In michigan I feel we get a bit of all weather types, Hot and humid, cold, wet, and enough salt spread on the roads in the winter to rust about anything. I take proper care of my blades so rust has never been a issue for me. Even after leaving food and grime on a VG10 blade for extended periods I've never seen rust or tarnish.

I got CPMD2 to surface rust in about 2 hours though, I was working in the rain and soaked from head to toe. It was kinda like jumping into a pool repeatedly for two hours and when I pulled the knife from my pocket it was like pulling it from a bucket of water. It was a JYDII CB and there was only rust spots on the edge and not on the other stainless pieces. FYI the whole blade is bead blasted.

Spyderco uses a more satin finish and this will help to reduce the effects of rust even further. Keep your blade wiped and you should have no problems.

VG-10 is very good at corrosion resistance, for the most part. I have lots of VG-10 knives, and about the only corrosion I get is some very slight discoloring that forms in the well of the lock (in a lock back). It doesn't affect the lockup at all, it's only slight surface rust, due to the rougher, unfinished surface in the well of the lock. It really can't be cleaned out, and like I said, isn't a problem other than perhaps 'cosmetic', and even then, I never check the lock's well unless I'm checking for pocket lint in it. Sometimes, too, the tiny spaces between the jimping on the back of a blade may discolor a bit, too.

I once got a spot of discoloration in the blade of a D4 when I took it out of a sweaty pocket without wiping it, but I easily removed the spot with a pencil eraser, with no trace of it left.

I may be unusual, but I've gotten actual rust spots on 420HC on a few Buck knives, on the blades and inside of the backsprings, simply from pocket carry. They required a bit more work to remove than the little spot I had on the VG-10, and I still had slight traces of stains where the rust spots were removed. And my sweat is not especially acidic.

I consider VG-10 to be excellent steel. Some call it a lower-end steel, but I disagree. Twelve years ago, VG-10 would have been top-of-the-line. It might not be "the latest-greatest," but IMO it will do most of what any great knife steel will do. If I took a knife into the seawater, I'd take one of my Salts, but that's not an everyday thing for me.
Jim

Back