Can this haft be salvaged?

the-accumulator

Platinum Member
SUPER BANKO, MADE IN SWEDEN. I love the shape, the feel, and the history of this hatchet/ haft combination and plan to rehang the pair, even if it's only useful as a wall hanger.
JPEG_20200810_075911_8771544641988304989.jpg
JPEG_20200810_075951_2419619253764943028.jpg
JPEG_20200810_080056_3141503777284300000.jpg
Does anyone know a technique for making a strong repair for this sort of problem? I'm also questioning the angle of the head vs the haft. Does it seem like it's tipped down a bit? Thanks for watching. T-A

I'd try seating the head down lower to around where I marked, which should give you a little more "meat" in the eye and make it more stable. The head might be tipped a little bit, but I think it looks good anyways.
JPEG-20200810-080056-3141503777284300000.jpg

definitely agree with the epoxy you won't full the front mid section of the eye with just a standard wedge and you'd have the kerf/wedge too low in the head if you tried.
I'd also add that carving your own wedge in a shape that will fill and put pressure in a lot of the front of the eye (especially sealing the top of the eye).Without having to be squashed too far in at the front, would probably help also.

Fill the voids with epoxy.
If I was looking for the strongest repair, I think epoxy would be the way to go, but I'm not fond of the permanence of that approach.
I'd try seating the head down lower
Lowering the head should definitely be a part of which ever plan I choose.
I'd also add that carving your own wedge in a shape that will fill and put pressure in a lot of the front of the eye
This might take more skill and patience than I care to invest, but I think I might give it a try. If I fail, there's always epoxy!
Thanks to all. T-A

Last edited:
If I was looking for the strongest repair, I think epoxy would be the way to go, but I'm not find of the permanence of that approach.

Lowering the head should definitely be a part of which ever plan I choose.

This might take more skill and patience than I care to invest, but I think I might give it a try. If I fail, there's always epoxy!
Thanks to all. T-A
I'd combine it with the epoxy or at least some kind of flexible waterproof glue like a Weldond or equivalent. Both in any potential voids before seating the haft and in the kerf.
Just to stop the wedge from sliding upward due shock and vibration during use. Its going to be making a lot of contact with the head. I had a fresh hang pop the wedge recently.

How about this plan: considering that the kerf is rather wide, and some of the wood is missing, I think I'll fill the entire space with a wedge of similar wood with similar grain orientation. I'll just make it fit snug and glue it in place, attempting to make up for the missing pieces. Then I'll cut a new kerf, mount the head, and install a now wedge. Anybody else think that might work? T-A

SUPER BANKO, MADE IN SWEDEN. I love the shape, the feel, and the history of this hatchet/ haft combination and plan to rehang the pair, even if it's only useful as a wall hanger.
View attachment 1395928
View attachment 1395929
View attachment 1395930
Does anyone know a technique for making a strong repair for this sort of problem? I'm also questioning the angle of the head vs the haft. Does it seem like it's tipped down a bit? Thanks for watching. T-A
If you really like this haft than use it for a hatchet with smaller eye.

How NOT to utilize a metal step wedge:JPEG_20200809_132554_5519287653890449539.jpg
Notice the crack in the haft? Here's why:
JPEG_20200812_164338_5808672771243398796.jpg
JPEG_20200812_164410_4655106278938409484.jpg
I pulled the wooden wedge piece by piece with needle nose pliers and a small flat blade screwdriver. Then it was easy to drive the haft out of the eye. Now to fix the crack and rehang. T-A

How about this plan: considering that the kerf is rather wide, and some of the wood is missing, I think I'll fill the entire space with a wedge of similar wood with similar grain orientation. I'll just make it fit snug and glue it in place, attempting to make up for the missing pieces. Then I'll cut a new kerf, mount the head, and install a now wedge. Anybody else think that might work? T-A
Sounds like a solid plan. Cutting the kerf mabe difficult with so much being glued in. I'd suggest cutting the kerf while its still clamped and after the glue has fully set. Just to avoid the glue hold breaking loose while sawing. Otherwise, should work a treat if you can pull it off. I've wasted a couple handles trying to save them from just rushing the work an taking too much off etc. Just take your time and get it right the first time, it works every time.

Back