Can We bring back the R?

I really love the look of the sprint run R with the nishijin scales and VG10 blade and I was wondering how such a cool and useful design has managed to vanish from the line up? Im guessing that it is because people thought it was so close the the Delica that they wouldnt pay the extra for a slightly different (possibly cooler?) design. I love my Delica (and all of my other spydies too) but man the handle shape and finger choil on that R really do it for me.

I know you can get them on the secondary market but where as I love the design for around 100-120 bucks I am not as in love with it at the 200+ price point the secondary market is demanding.

Anyway I thought it might be fun to discuss and see what other people think.

Brian

I dig it! It's like the offspring of an Endura and a PM2 - a beefier Endura with a choil. It's bigger than I usually carry, but the shorter handle works better for me than either Endura or PM2. I'd be greatly tempted and would probably buy one.

39495302204_15f1086bc9_c.jpg

It's quite a bit bigger than the Delica.

Well dang! Now I like it even more! I guess Ill just have to be on the look out for a good deal or trade or something. You know you have been collecting too long when all the knives you want are hard to get!

I dig it! It's like the offspring of an Endura and a PM2 - a beefier Endura with a choil. It's bigger than I usually carry, but the shorter handle works better for me than either Endura or PM2. I'd be greatly tempted and would probably buy one.

39495302204_15f1086bc9_c.jpg
You guys are Killing Me! That looks like such a nice size for me! Maybe they could do another run with some other combination of materials although I really like the look of the nishijin and VG-10 is a solid working steel in my experience.

I thought it was pretty much a Delica also. Hmmm a minute ago I didn't know I wanted one of these. Anyone have the blade length off the top of their head?

I heard some people complaining that the blade looks likenanslice of pizza.

Still I have been interested in the R since I heard about it. I also have heard it compared to a Delica with a choil but the pics clearly show it is significantly larger.

Why is the 0 on the ruler not lined up with the far left of the left side measuring probe. (The one by the end of the handle)

Just curious.

Hmm, I've never noticed that. I'm not sure. The digital display is fairly accurate, though, despite the wonky numbers.

39311347005_2ac36ca6e9_b.jpg

28429285549_6b42d0e366_b.jpg

id prefer a screwed constr full size version reissue of the goddard over the r. r just has no place for me. pm2 i prefer over it and pm2 to me is a smaller folder. i like endura size for my cutting tasks. so r doesnt add much for me at all. guess i should start a bring back the goddard thread.;)

I didn't much care for the original skeletonized handle and blade. Ditto the 2 with solid blade and skeletonized handle. I find my pocketknives have quite enough crud traps without intentionally adding a bunch more. I ignored the last Sprint for that reason, and maybe I shouldn't have because I do like the looks of it with solid blade and handle. I haven't heard my bank account complaining, though.

Why is the 0 on the ruler not lined up with the far left of the left side measuring probe. (The one by the end of the handle)

Just curious.

The scale on a digital caliper is really not necessary like it would be on a dial or vernier caliper. That being said, the reason why the scale is offset is because it needs to read zero off the left side of the movable jaw housing when the jaws are closed.

The housing is used as a reference to get the ones and tenths place on a dial caliper.

Hope that was a clear explanation.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Nishijin R a few times when they were available, iirc that sprint was around for a long time. Just wasn't sure if I'd like the smoothness of the scales and other knives were bought instead... Still haven't seen any Nishijin scales in person.

A g10 sprint would be interesting, but my concern is that there's a lot of competition in Spyderco's lineup in that size. That and the slow sales on the last sprint may put them off another run.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Nishijin R a few times when they were available, iirc that sprint was around for a long time. Just wasn't sure if I'd like the smoothness of the scales and other knives were bought instead... Still haven't seen any Nishijin scales in person.

A g10 sprint would be interesting, but my concern is that there's a lot of competition in Spyderco's lineup in that size. That and the slow sales on the last sprint may put them off another run.

The Nishijin scales on my Lum Chinese folder were very smooth. Almost like glass or smooth plastic. Their primary function is definitely looks and not grip.

I love my Nishijin R model. It is about the size of a Para2. I am all in on a sprint run. I would prefer g10.

Back