Can we please see another G-10 sprint Endura and Delica?

Honestly, I'd love to see it just as a regular production model.

Been there, done that, didn't sell well enough to continue.

Delica and Endura with G10 scales of varying colors (orange for mine please!) and VG10 blades, with street pricing around the $80-85 mark would be fantastic and probably make Benchmade cry a little.

It would probably make them laugh themselves sick, at least until Spyderco sold enough of them at that price to go broke. Then they'd really be happy.

I figure a $20-25 price bump for the premium materials would probably cover the upgrade. I'd definitely buy one.

You figure very wrong. Given the way costs have gone since the G-10 models were in production you're probably looking at closer to $50 - $75 to cover that upgrade. I seriously doubt you'll see a street price under $100 for a G-10 Endura, at least for a genuine one. You'll probably be able to pick up a Chinese knock-off for what you want to pay, though.

Been there, done that, didn't sell well enough to continue.

It would probably make them laugh themselves sick, at least until Spyderco sold enough of them at that price to go broke. Then they'd really be happy.

You figure very wrong. Given the way costs have gone since the G-10 models were in production you're probably looking at closer to $50 - $75 to cover that upgrade. I seriously doubt you'll see a street price under $100 for a G-10 Endura, at least for a genuine one. You'll probably be able to pick up a Chinese knock-off for what you want to pay, though.

I dunno. Let's think about it for a minute. Let's compare the Delica, which is around $60-70 to... oh, let's say a Manix 2, which has a street price hovering right around $100.
So the difference is $30-40.
For the $30-40 difference, you get G10, S30V, and a more complex lock. So if you remove steel upgrades and lock from the cost, you're talking about G10 alone being an upgrade of less than $30-40.

I realize that's also a Japan made vs. USA made comparison, so let's go with something more apples-->apples...

S110v Manix 2 is around $115ish in FRN. Want the same exact blade with the same exact lock, made in the same exact place but this time with G10? Sure! there's the Blurple G10 model that comes in at $138 pretty much everywhere online. $23 dollar difference for G10 vs. FRN when everything else is the same. Actually if really want to be technical, the FRN model doesn't have skeletonize steel liners, and the G10 does. So considering that there is additional material and additional machining steps to make the G10 model, a simple materials swap might even cost less than $23.

Let's even look at something on the same production line as the Delica... the Dragonfly. Looking right now at knifecenter, the D-fly in FRN is $54. D-fly with G10 is $93. So a $39 difference. More than I projected, but still less than you projected. And while I have nothing to back it up, I believe the Delica outsells the D-fly by a pretty good margin, so when economies of scale come into play, the difference might become even less.

So now rather than just speculation, we have real solid metrics to work with. It looks like a jump from FRN to G10 costs somewhere between $23-39. So if an FRN Delica is a $65 knife, that puts a G10 Delica somewhere around $88 on the low end to $104 on the high end.

Work for you?

Flat ground ZDP-189 is great stuff!

Any chance of bringing production to USA? CPM, CTS all fantastic materials!

19-3ben your logic works for me.

it doesn't work because it does not take into consideration that labor and materials are more expensive in Japan vs the US, and then there's the currency exchanges also that raises the costs...

I would have tough that the factory expansion in Colorado was done to bring home the Japanese model's production, so to produce an upgrade endura and delica 5, but at the same price or just slightly higher.

it doesn't work because it does not take into consideration that labor and materials are more expensive in Japan vs the US, and then there's the currency exchanges also that raises the costs...

Hence the reason I picked both both the Manix (USA made) and Dragonfly (Japan made in the same factory as Delica and Endura). I didn't want anyone to legitimately argue the whole "things are different in Japan" argument.

So if I'm wrong, actually read my argument and tell me why.

Hence the reason I picked both both the Manix (USA made) and Dragonfly (Japan made in the same factory as Delica and Endura). I didn't want anyone to legitimately argue the whole "things are different in Japan" argument.

So if I'm wrong, actually read my argument and tell me why.

I'd like you to be right, but I'm sure a basic VG10 G10 delica would bust your upper margin estimate a little and that would go higher if Sal plans for something a little more exotic.

Based on the pricing of the G-10 Worker Sprint run, I'd be shocked to see a G-10 Delica or Endura much cheaper.

I'm hoping they have done it before and therefore have the tooling to make them a bit cheaper than the Worker.
No need to even go to a fancy steel when VG10 ticks all the boxes in these models.

Whatever steel Sal chooses will be fine, the G-10 versions of FRN Spydeco's are rock solid.

Make mine either M390 or S10V :D I missed out on the other G-10 Endura but I won't miss this one. But yeah please put a really top notch blade steel in the G-10 Endura.

Delica and Endura. Needs to be Japanese steel..

Nothing wrong with vg10 or zdp189 but would like to see something different.

Cobalt Special- like a buffed up vg10.

Shirogami 1 or YXR7?

I think Sal mentioned a steel called MRS-30 made by Daido. Looked interesting.

we're working on the pair, but have been having some difficulties selecting the steel for the runs.

sal

Hello Sal,

I think many would agree the HAP40 sprints were a big hit and I know I'm one of many that would love to see more of it. I don't know if this would be the right case for it but I'm not saying it would be a bad choice either :)

There is also HAP50 which seems to be the steroid injected cousin of HAP40.

I think some other contenders would be SLD and SKD steels, R2/SG2 or as mentioned Shirogami.

Delica and Endura. Needs to be Japanese steel..

Nothing wrong with vg10 or zdp189 but would like to see something different.

Cobalt Special- like a buffed up vg10.

Shirogami 1 or YXR7?

I think Sal mentioned a steel called MRS-30 made by Daido. Looked interesting.

oh Colbat special would sure be an interesting choice. If it's all VG-10 can be, nice corrosion resistance, ease of sharpen ability, but with an higher edge holding, I'm all in!

Hap50 does look interesting. Its like Hap40 but with more of several of the ingredients..

Last edited:
Back