Can We See a Video of You Chipping Ti?

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Thread title says it all. I think this would be super cool. Thanks!

It's really tough for me to get videos of the actual process, since I don't use a microscope...just a 2.75x Optivisor. Most of the videos you see online were shot through a microscope with a video splitter...that said, I do have a video of some background removal during the engraving of my K18 sword (CPM 3V).

Next time I'm cutting Ti I'll try to get a video for you, basically looks the same with a different shade of gray🤷‍♂️😂

Oh man, wow thank you so much for sharing this! It sounds loud in the video, do you wear hearing protection for this or was it just amplified on account of the camera's proximity?

Oh man, wow thank you so much for sharing this! It sounds loud in the video, do you wear hearing protection for this or was it just amplified on account of the camera's proximity?
Mostly the proximity, and the phone was actually resting on the workpiece so it picked it up through conduction too. It's not too bad with my big hunk o'brass...deadens a lot of the noise, lighter materials like wood or micarta are solid enough for mounting but LOUD😂

So some quick math suggests to me that this job took you at least 8 hours? Even more if the underside of the handle is also engraved, which it sort of looks like it is?

So some quick math suggests to me that this job took you at least 8 hours? Even more if the underside of the handle is also engraved, which it sort of looks like it is?
🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂....try over 100 hours. There was way over 8 hours just in background removal on the fuller...per side. It was a HUGE stupid undertaking for a personal piece, if you scroll back to around January in my Instagram you can see me working on it FOREVER🤣

I can't tell if I'm seeing the process correctly.
Is the assembly movable while you work, or clamped securely at any given position?

I can't tell if I'm seeing the process correctly.
Is the assembly movable while you work, or clamped securely at any given position?
It's movable, that's how I'm able to follow curves...the graver stays relatively stationary and the work rotates. I can adjust the rotation drag or lock it down completely if I need to, for sanding and whatnot.

Back