Can you cut a bottle in half without shattering it?

Today a co worker showed me a video of someone trying to chop a 2x4 with one swing, and after seeing a funny fake "brick cut by a katana" pic on another thread, and another person asked about cutting a glass bottle, all that got me curious as to what other unorthodox objects people may have successfully cut or have seen cut. I think I'm going to see if glass bottle cutting exists somewhere on the internet...

Personally, I used to save the 1/2" thick walled cardboard silica impregnated pallet wrap cores and we would cut those freestanding with some of the Euro swords. The katana failed time and again. The cores are similar to the tubes used for newsprint paper. Again, free standing. We would also cut freestanding mat stumps and something I used to cut at home were just free standing cracker boxes.

carnage.jpg AA war3.jpg

A wakizashi through newsprint and more paper fun
https://www.knbk.org/miura-takeyuki-hidefusa-hanshi/
shin3.jpg
shin1.jpgshin2.jpg
https://www.sakurabudokan.com/muso-jikiden-eishin-ryu-iaijutsu/
Cheers
GC

Even if you could, in theory, cut a glass bottle cleanly in half, without either shattering it or damaging your blade edge, it begs the obvious sort of question: so what if you can? Even if it's possible, what're you going to do with this knowledge? Are you going to practice in an attempt to do it yourself? What for, so you can try and impress others by joining an established trend, and following the crowds?

Well, for my own curiosity and edification I certainly plan to try chopping a bottle in half. A big part of my fascination with blades in general is what the limits are on what I can cut with them. I'm not really the kind of person to buy a knife and just look at it, never carry it or use it; I genuinely enjoy the process of chopping, cutting and slicing into things with different blades. I enjoy that part of it more than every other aspect of blades as a hobby. I recently cut a five gallon bucket filled with water completely in half with one swing. It didn't serve any real point beyond me wondering if I could, but when I did it was very, very satisfying. It's immensely satisfying every time I cut something well; why would I not do it? You could as well ask if it makes sense for Japanese guys to spend years cutting tatami mats to perfect their sword art. It's not like they are gonna samurai somebody in 2021. So what's the point? I kind of just assumed that enjoyment was the end goal of every voluntary leisure based endeavor.

W
One of the main swordsman in the documentary was my teacher for many years

Here he is as a young practitioner in the film and than many decades later with me circa 90’s at a Kendo tournament in NY

He taught me to how to cut

Wow that was awesome! I wish you had slow motioned that cut though because I had to rewind and watch it five or six times to catch everything.

You can't cut a glass bottle in half, but possibly you could cleanly fracture it, like with the champagne bottle thing or the karate guy in the video.

You can't cut a glass bottle in half, but possibly you could cleanly fracture it, like with the champagne bottle thing or the karate guy in the video.
I'm committed to the idea of trying it, even though my presumption is that it cannot be done. I would consider getting it into only two pieces (as opposed to it blowing apart) a "success". I know that some attempts are doomed to fail (I'm going to try the Big Trouble In Little China double or nothing bottle chop) but I do have high hopes about getting the neck off (cleanly fractured works for me) in at least one attempt.

I'm committed to the idea of trying it, even though my presumption is that it cannot be done. I would consider getting it into only two pieces (as opposed to it blowing apart) a "success". I know that some attempts are doomed to fail (I'm going to try the Big Trouble In Little China double or nothing bottle chop) but I do have high hopes about getting the neck off (cleanly fractured works for me) in at least one attempt.

You might try scoring the bottle where you expect it to "cut". We're deep in cheating land now, as once it's scored you could "cut" it with a 2x4 probably.

Do it!

nKnESVJ.gif

Back