How To Can you make a kiln with hard fire bricks?

Very recently I just purchased some fire bricks from a local guy who was selling a bunch of "soft" fire bricks. Like the idiot I am, I bought them for $150 and didn't check to see if they were truly the soft version of the bricks. So I got them and went home to find out that they are the hard kind of the bricks. Now I'm stuck not able to make an HT oven and cant carve the channels I need to inlay my heating element. Would any of you have ways that you could carve out the channel I need without the breaking of multiple tools and wasting more money?

I’d just buy the right ones and use the hard ones for a floor inside a forge or something.

The hard ones don’t insulate very well.

Use them to make a hot work area on a rolling table/cart or one end of the work bench. Place the properly built HT oven on that surface.

We have a table for gas welding and brazing covered with hard fire bricks... works great. You can cut them with carbide grit saws (Rem-Grit) but it's slow work and produces dangerous dust, diamond tooling would probably work too

Back