Can you own butterfly knives and switchblades in Canada?

I know the short answer, no. I was just wondering if there's a way to own them as a collector or something. Even if I had to register it with RCMP. I think those laws are outdated and stupid. I love collecting knives and it pains me that I could never own those knives as long as I live in Canada. I'm Filipino and the balisong is part of our heritage. All I can do is go green with envy whenever I see videos on youtube of people showcasing their balisong and switchblade collection.

I know the short answer, no. I was just wondering if there's a way to own them as a collector or something. Even if I had to register it with RCMP. I think those laws are outdated and stupid. I love collecting knives and it pains me that I could never own those knives as long as I live in Canada. I'm Filipino and the balisong is part of our heritage. All I can do is go green with envy whenever I see videos on youtube of people showcasing their balisong and switchblade collection.

Phone the RCMP and ask.

I'm to lazy to provide a link to the written law, but, I'll tell you what it says in the Firearms Act, which is where the knife laws are in the criminal code.
-The is no grandfathering or collector status for any prohibited knife.
-Switchblades, knives which open automatically with the press of a button (or other such thing) on the handle are prohibited.
-Gravity knives (which are a very specific thing), are prohibited.
-Push daggers are prohib.
-Knives with an integrated handguard are prohib. (despite the fact that any French Epee has one, and is readily available in Canada)
-Knives which open under "centrifugal force" are prohibited. That means Any knife that can be flung open when holding the handle but not exerting any force on the blade, other than inertia.
-Balisongs are widely believed to be prohibited by name, but they are not. The Canada Customs regulations quotes the FA and parenthesizes balisongs, but that is pure editorialism. Policy is not law.
The reason that balisongs are prohibited is because they open with "centrifugal force", and that's the only reason. Just look at the Cold Steel Paradox. It's a balisong that can't be opened by CF. Totally legal in Canada. So, if you have a balisong that won't swing open, it's legal under the CC.
Of course, this defeats the purpose of having fun flipping a balisong.

I suggest you get your hands on a Balisong trainer, a legal flipper, and not a knife.

Last edited:
As mentioned these knives are considered prohibited weapons. The only exception allowed to have such knives in Canada that I've ever read about would be a company with a licence to import such weapons as props in the movie industry.

Are any of you guys from Canada? Would be cool if we could get a lot of supporters and overturn this stupid law..

I`m Canadian and feel your pain re. balisong laws, but good luck trying to change them. My understanding is that they items were criminalized very quickly and have unfortunatley developed such a stigma amongst the non-knife community that to reinstate them would most likely be a challenge.

If anything the only `canadian `approach I could see working would be to emphasis the bali as a hallmark of your Filipino heritage and its subsequent criminalization as being discriminatory. Consider the Sikh and kirpan issue, which is a strecth in terms of comparison as to my knowledge balis aren`t integral to religion, but its an example where knives were protected within a cultural context.

hmm..interesting idea.. although, if was to petition for a change of laws against these knives, i would not make it something related to my culture but to highlight that knives in themselves aren't inherent to criminal activity. my legal folders are capable of doing the same damage as these knives are so there's no reason that balisongs/switchblades should have this stigma.. heck, even with the ban on these knives there are still crimes with knives being used..but you already know all about this. i just want to make a stand and show how stupid these laws are and that we, knife enthusiasts and law abiding citizens, should not be prohibited from collecting such beautiful knives.

Back