• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Can you show me some pictures of SJ Flat Grind vs. a Convex Grind?

Can you show me some pictures of SJ Flat Grind vs. a Convex Grind? I think mine is flat, but would like to know for sure since I'm being asked about the grind in my "for sale" thread.

11110021-1.jpg

11110030.jpg

Thanks

Here's a flat

IMG_6011.jpg

And here's a convex

IMG_8075.jpg

(bottom one)

IMG_8076.jpg

Kind of hard to tell from your pics but yours looks to be flat. :)

I just saw your other pics. It is flat ground 100% sure. :thumbup:

Bear in mind that there is a difference between a convex PRIMARY grind and a convex EDGE grind. There are many Busses with full flat primaries and convex edges (Uncle MoFo as an example). To check the primary, just put a straight edge (like a ruler) on it, running from spine to edge. If it rocks back and forth, it's convex.

complexedgeshapediagram.jpg

I know my SAR 3 is a convex knife, but what is my BWM?

IMG_6481.jpg

IMG_6485.jpg

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Just put a business card or other flat edge against the side of the blade - if it is primary convex, you will be able to rock the card back and forth. Flat grind there is no space between the card and blade.

Back