Can you stain white bone handles?

Can you stain white or light natural bone handled knives a different color such as blue(ish), greenish, red, etc? If you can what kind (s) of dye or stain and what is the process?

The quick answer is yes. I've "enhanced" color on one of my knives with a food color solution, but to truly dye the bone, you're going to have to go through a bit more than that. I'm too chicken to go through the necessary steps, but I believe you may get your answer here. Good luck, and please share before and after photos!:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/868446-Dyeing-Bone-A-Tutorial

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I dyed mine black

z3j9Hvgh.jpg

Because I tried the tea bath and it didn't come out looking good.

Yes -the tutorial works. My tip is don't pussyfoot around with "making it a bit darker or "blu-ish" Just dye it the colour you want. I've done a couple and very pleased with the results. :thumbup:

Who would want to dye white or ivory bone???:eek::eek::eek::confused:

Darkening bright colours or enhancing shades I completely understand.

I dyed my Northwoods Broadway Jack's camel-bone backside with blue (really more purple) Rit dye. It worked pretty good. I think it looks better than white.

It was a cheapie user second that had the '2' ground off by a brilliant person. Also has oiled bone on the front but white on the back; it was originally sold as a second by KSF.

I heated the bone over a steaming pot of water, then painted on a very thick coating of very thick dye. Let it set a while and wipe off. I didn't want to mess will dunking it in a pot of dye. I steamed it and dyed it repeatedly and eventually got it to this point. Bottom knife is a green Michigan Jack.

P1010465_zpspmzpi64g.jpg

Wow that purple did come out great and green+purple is my favorite combo. Nice Chuck!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Maybe to get a color that isn't offered from the factory. But I understand your concern :)
I really like some of the blue/teal colors of the Northwoods knives, and would consider attempting to match that if I acquired a white bone something.

Somewhat related question:
Can you scrimshaw a dark colored handle, and use white India Ink instead of black?

Maybe to get a color that isn't offered from the factory. But I understand your concern :)
I really like some of the blue/teal colors of the Northwoods knives, and would consider attempting to match that if I acquired a white bone something.

That's exactly what I'll be after. I want a blue smooth bone locking 2-blade trapper, which I have yet to find one that is currently manufactured. However, Rough Rider makes a white bone version lockback trapper that I think I will try dyeing.

I'm in agreement with you Will Power, in that I prefer the palest of handles.

I guess though if I got a cheap enough user, I'd take a chance experimenting. The one I enhanced was bought as a user.

I have experimented with the RIT dye process with different Case knives. You will see some of my results in the thread linked earlier.

I have no problem doing it with Case Tru Sharp knives. But every time I have tried it with a CV steel knife, the blades developed minor pitting as a result of the process. I had even tried one with the blades treated with Eezox first, and they still developed pits.

That could be fixed on a knife with blades hinged at one end by opening the knife and keeping the blades elevated out of the dye, assuming the backsprings and bolsters were non-reactive. Hinged at both ends, though, something will end up in the dye.

If you are doing a knife with carbon steel blades, backsprings, or bolsters, be aware that you may affect the steel.

I have experimented with the RIT dye process with different Case knives. You will see some of my results in the thread linked earlier.

I have no problem doing it with Case Tru Sharp knives. But every time I have tried it with a CV steel knife, the blades developed minor pitting as a result of the process. I had even tried one with the blades treated with Eezox first, and they still developed pits.

That could be fixed on a knife with blades hinged at one end by opening the knife and keeping the blades elevated out of the dye, assuming the backsprings and bolsters were non-reactive. Hinged at both ends, though, something will end up in the dye.

If you are doing a knife with carbon steel blades, backsprings, or bolsters, be aware that you may affect the steel.

I had the same problem with CV pitting when I used salt with RIT dye, but switching to vinegar fixed that, just as long as you don't mind patina.

I'm in agreement with you Will Power, in that I prefer the palest of handles.

I guess though if I got a cheap enough user, I'd take a chance experimenting. The one I enhanced was bought as a user.

I honestly regret it, despite it turning out well. I thought it was looking pretty haggard from use and carry, so I decided to try the tea bath. It looked AWFUL

130d947726b8e694a3958a466a376381.jpg

I was pretty heartbroken. This was my first traditional I bought for myself and my first GEC. I decided to go all in and try black. It turned out to be an acceptable alternative.

I think the black looks classy, but I miss the smooth ivory bone.

Back