canada knife law help please

hows it going everybody, need some help here, I'll be moving to Canada British Columbia sometime next month in October. for the past 3 years, I've accumulated some knives, I was wondering if they are legal for me to travel with? of course knives will be in a checked bag.would hate to sell them if I cant bring them with me. any help is appreciated. thank you

Benchmade 810,943,940,484,550,140
ZT 0566
kershaw blur
Paramilitary 2

Solid maybe. Legally, those folders are all legal to own in Canada (check local laws for carry) But and a HUGE BUT is that as of a couple years ago, those are problematic for import. Due to some very weird interpenetration of the law by the Customs and Boarder Service they may classify those as switchblades (yep, we know) Make sure that your particular models cannot be opened using any sort of flick, snap, or anything like that. The Blur is an odd one, because in theory the AO should keep it closed no matter how hard you swing it, but because it has a spring the officer on the day may class it a switchblade (again, it is what it is)
It all depends on how you are traveling, if you are moving with a bunch of stuff. The officer on the day may not care, but legally speaking its.... problematic.
Sorry I couldn't give better news but it is what it is.

Solid maybe. Legally, those folders are all legal to own in Canada (check local laws for carry) But and a HUGE BUT is that as of a couple years ago, those are problematic for import. Due to some very weird interpenetration of the law by the Customs and Boarder Service they may classify those as switchblades (yep, we know) Make sure that your particular models cannot be opened using any sort of flick, snap, or anything like that. The Blur is an odd one, because in theory the AO should keep it closed no matter how hard you swing it, but because it has a spring the officer on the day may class it a switchblade (again, it is what it is)
It all depends on how you are traveling, if you are moving with a bunch of stuff. The officer on the day may not care, but legally speaking its.... problematic.
Sorry I couldn't give better news but it is what it is.

How about if I send the handles through mail and shipped the blades separately as repair/parts?

If you are comfortable taking them apart, then just do that. As far as I know, they only test complete knives on a case by case basis. The only category that would likely get snagged as a parts kit would be a bali I think. (not a lawyer)

If you are comfortable taking them apart, then just do that. As far as I know, they only test complete knives on a case by case basis. The only category that would likely get snagged as a parts kit would be a bali I think. (not a lawyer)
I guess ill just sell them? and try to buy them back through amazon?would hate to deal with customs.

I guess ill just sell them? and try to buy them back through amazon?would hate to deal with customs.
You likely won't be able to get them back without a massive mark-up from a Canadian retailer, and post will get checked more closely than almost anything else, so no dice from amazon US. Shipping them with your personal effects is likely the easiest way. Look up prices from Canadian retailers before you decide anything. If you are only moving for a short time, find someone safe to store them with.

well took 3 weeks total sending blades and handles separately,blades took about two weeks in customs, handles were no issues.

finally everything ended with a smile or not >..... ??
Everything worked out smoothly, but I need to actually clarify my situation, I mailed my blades, took 3 weeks to receive, the handles I traveled with and kept with my check baggage there was no inspection.

That sounds like a pain in the ass, glad it worked out for you in the end. I appreciate the recent perspective on this since I'll be making a similar move sometime in the near future, and it was good to see how it went for someone in 2020. Here's hoping it goes as smoothly for me, I have a couple pieces that would break my heart to sell off.

Back