Canadian border security stole my %$#@& GEC tube!

el gigantor

Gold Member
I've had a woodland micarta GEC 23 LL on order from a US supplier for weeks now, and it finally showed up here north of the border today. I saw a piece of tape holding the box closed that identifies the Government of Canada had examined the contents. Not a huge deal. So I slice open the package and the knife, a button, a desiccant package, and a piece of butcher's paper is staring back at me. NO TUBE! These items have been bouncing around together for a few days.

I was planning on re-selling the knife with two other recently acquired GEC blades due to some unforseen and relatively painful bills and expenses that have popped up. No one is going to purchase what I have without the tube. It's probably in some landfill by now. I'm pissed!

End of rant. I don't know if you folks have dealt with something like this before. I just needed to get it out.

There's almost nothing you can do about those folks.
The first two Busses I ordered way way back when made it to the border, but never made it to me.
At least somebody there had good taste.

Such a huge pain. I've not had customs take one before, but I did have the mail carrier smash a tube for a rare 1 of 7 knife that I bought. Luckily the COA and the knife were undamaged, but the tube was beyond hope of salvaging. Very sickening feeling.

I know that if I wanted a knife, whether it had a tube or not wouldn't affect my decision at all. I've got a bunch of empty tubes just laying around taking up space....

If I was buying one with the intention of re-selling it, I would probably be pretty upset, as well... is there any recourse with the authorities?

Seems unlikely. The CBSA (and US Customs and Border protection) don't just pocket stuff at random.

I do get annoyed and the CBSA $10 "Doing my job" fee they tag onto my imports.

I know that if I wanted a knife, whether it had a tube or not wouldn't affect my decision at all. I've got a bunch of empty tubes just laying around taking up space....

If I was buying one with the intention of re-selling it, I would probably be pretty upset, as well... is there any recourse with the authorities?
I would have been more upset if I found out they stole the GEC button! Wonder what they are going to do with the tube? :)

There's almost nothing you can do about those folks.
The first two Busses I ordered way way back when made it to the border, but never made it to me.
At least somebody there had good taste.

Good god. That soured my stomach a bit. You lost two Busse knives? I'm sorry man...

Such a huge pain. I've not had customs take one before, but I did have the mail carrier smash a tube for a rare 1 of 7 knife that I bought. Luckily the COA and the knife were undamaged, but the tube was beyond hope of salvaging. Very sickening feeling.

Gross. Not a good feeling at all.

That depends on the price you set, people buy new and used blades without packaging all the time. It sucks to lose the tube for something out of your control, but the tube isn’t the end-all determination of whether a sale will happen.

Good to know. I had lost all hope to be honest. GEC collectors seem to be very particular.

I didn't buy it with the intention of flipping it. That's not my style. Between when I made the purchase and when it was received, a few expenses came out of nowhere and are trying to sink me. Selling mint condition pocket knives seemed like a good first course of action.

Give GEC a call, I’ve heard they’ll sell replacement tubes. With this being such a recent run you might be able to get the correct label.

Excellent! Appreciate the info.

Or..... it could be an opportunity to send the knife out for custom covers and a polish job.

Lemonade from lemons!

I like the way you think!

If it's one of the mesquite ones I wouldn't care if it had a tube or not...just sayin' but that really does suck that your Customs agents are that inept, or malicious...

Inept, I'd say. Unfortunately so. I'm still surprised it happened.

Seems unlikely. The CBSA (and US Customs and Border protection) don't just pocket stuff at random.

I do get annoyed and the CBSA $10 "Doing my job" fee they tag onto my imports.

I don't think they actually stole it. I figure it ended up in the garbage; written off as unimportant packaging.

I would have been more upset if I found out they stole the GEC button! Wonder what they are going to do with the tube? :)

I don't want to know! ;) And I'm actually shocked I received a button. I've heard they're infrequent at best.

That doesn’t even make sense! At least you have the button and knife:)

Agreed. It could be worse. Just a bad surprise after a long day at work, that's all.

Good god. That soured my stomach a bit. You lost two Busse knives? I'm sorry man...

Gross. Not a good feeling at all.

Good to know. I had lost all hope to be honest. GEC collectors seem to be very particular.

I didn't buy it with the intention of flipping it. That's not my style. Between when I made the purchase and when it was received, a few expenses came out of nowhere and are trying to sink me. Selling mint condition pocket knives seemed like a good first course of action.

Excellent! Appreciate the info.

I like the way you think!

Inept, I'd say. Unfortunately so. I'm still surprised it happened.

I don't think they actually stole it. I figure it ended up in the garbage; written off as unimportant packaging.

I don't want to know! ;) And I'm actually shocked I received a button. I've heard they're infrequent at best.

Agreed. It could be worse. Just a bad surprise after a long day at work, that's all.
better to get the knife and button than to get nothing or just the tube...best wishes to you for future shipments.

At least they didn’t steal the knife?

“Clearly the valuable items in this package are the fantastic cardboard tube with fine reproduction folk art and limited edition collector pin. This old style knife like my grandpas probably just got left in the package by mistake when they were cutting tape for the box.”

At least they didn’t steal the knife?

“Clearly the valuable items in this package are the fantastic cardboard tube with fine reproduction folk art and limited edition collector pin. This old style knife like my grandpas probably just got left in the package by mistake when they were cutting tape for the box.”
That’s a bit more passive aggressive than I expected. This scenario didn’t ruin my life or anything. Just a shitty, unexpected surprise.

No accusations intended.... I was talking about myself, and my feelings about the tubes... I'm not a flipper, either, but it's good to have the tube just in case I decide one isn't my style, and I want to sell it.

at least you got your knife! Once upon a time, I let a diamond jack go to another member here and the sorting machines chewed it up. I believe they got a mangled tube but no knife as it had fallen out.

That’s a bit more passive aggressive than I expected. This scenario didn’t ruin my life or anything. Just a shitty, unexpected surprise.

Oh, nothing meant by it at all, I’m sorry if I came across that way! I was just trying to give you a bit of a smile since your tube was lifted.

FWIW, I doubt it’s going to make a huge degree of difference if you were to sell the knife. I think many GECs get saved with their tubes because they’re convenient and small to tuck away, and so that creates an appearance that the tubes are more esteemed/valued than they actually are. But I’d still call GEC and see if it’s possible to get a replacement. Might be a wash value wise between cost of shipping the tube to CA and knife added value though.

Back