Canadian border security stole my %$#@& GEC tube!

I buy gun stuff from Brownells. I had some Smith & Wesson parts and cleaning supplies that totaled to about $145. Charleston , SC Processing Center sent my package to Folly Beach instead. Some Hippy Gun Grabber kept my package. Brownells sent me a new package. Now Brownells has a $3 insurance fee , which I am happy to pay . Every time my new knives are in the mail , I am under stress. My Mesquite #23LL & CASE XX Tribal-lock are five days late. That CKs SFO Mesquite Knife wanted to go back home to Houston , Texas. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! My knives are on the delivery truck , on the way to me now. My OKCA 2020 #23 Club knife came in with the corner end wide open . My shipping was $20 with no insurance. The tube was right at the corner of the box. I pulled the knife out with two finger and my left thumb. The small greenish air bag packing saved that day, by pushing knife stationary against the box. Thank the Lord , I received my knife. Knives aint yours until they are in your hand.

That depends on the price you set, people buy new and used blades without packaging all the time. It sucks to lose the tube for something out of your control, but the tube isn’t the end-all determination of whether a sale will happen.
I agree. There are plenty of folks that just use their knives and could care less about the tube.

I buy gun stuff from Brownells. I had some Smith & Wesson parts and cleaning supplies that totaled to about $145. Charleston , SC Processing Center sent my package to Folly Beach instead. Some Hippy Gun Grabber kept my package. Brownells sent me a new package. Now Brownells has a $3 insurance fee , which I am happy to pay . Every time my new knives are in the mail , I am under stress. My Mesquite #23LL & CASE XX Tribal-lock are five days late. That CKs SFO Mesquite Knife wanted to go back home to Houston , Texas. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! My knives are on the delivery truck , on the way to me now. My OKCA 2020 #23 Club knife came in with the corner end wide open . My shipping was $20 with no insurance. The tube was right at the corner of the box. I pulled the knife out with two finger and my left thumb. The small greenish air bag packing saved that day, by pushing knife stationary against the box. Thank the Lord , I received my knife. Knives aint yours until they are in your hand.
My knives are here. The package was smashed on one end by a packing sorting machine. The box had cellophane wrapping and proper packing. Everything was cool inside , but my heart dropped. "Not a again !", when I opened to mail box. My Mesquite wood #23LL knife is perfect ! Thank You Mr. Mike Latham ! (fives days late) Thank you Lord , I got it !

Last edited:
hOOaKwM.jpg

Sorry to hear, el gigantor. That sucks. I know the feeling. The boys down at customs are working hard to keep those tubes off the streets and out of the hands of criminals. Just like how they make sure no drugs are hidden underneath the finish of guitars. Think of the children.

Did it come through Vancouver or Mississauga?

Really appreciate all the feedback guys. I was more upset yesterday when I first opened my mailbox than I am now. I'm not all giddy about the situation, mind you. But there are bigger tragedies in life...

....like Customs wrecking the finish of a guitar. HotGuts HotGuts that suuuuuucks! My heart goes out to you. Also, my knife came through Ontario I believe.

I've had a woodland micarta GEC 23 LL on order from a US supplier for weeks now, and it finally showed up here north of the border today. I saw a piece of tape holding the box closed that identifies the Government of Canada had examined the contents. Not a huge deal. So I slice open the package and the knife, a button, a desiccant package, and a piece of butcher's paper is staring back at me. NO TUBE! These items have been bouncing around together for a few days.

I was planning on re-selling the knife with two other recently acquired GEC blades due to some unforseen and relatively painful bills and expenses that have popped up. No one is going to purchase what I have without the tube. It's probably in some landfill by now. I'm pissed!

End of rant. I don't know if you folks have dealt with something like this before. I just needed to get it out.
I believe if you contact GEC that they will send you a new tube with all the proper labels and identification on the tube lid.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm almost thinking that adding insurance raises USPS workers attention & thats when they might further investigate contents & violate packages. FYI ... I'm in the <$50 Case knife category most of the time, so I never have any problem with USPS and packages being messed with (well over 200 USPS knife transactions).

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm almost thinking that adding insurance raises USPS workers attention & thats when they might further investigate contents & violate packages. FYI ... I'm in the <$50 Case knife category most of the time, so I never have any problem with USPS and packages being messed with (well over 200 USPS knife transactions).
That is my belief also. Added insurance just makes it known there is something of value in it. I also don't believe I would ever get the full insured value on a knife.

I think one problem is a lot of outsourcing in the U.S. Post Office delivery system. The government is starving the PO!! I wish I knew why!!?? I have tracked the last two knives from the States to my home in Canada, and have never seen such peripatetic, crazy journeys, back and forth across the US!! Maybe the tube went missing before it reached Canada ??:eek: Small chance though!!
Mail is one of the most important services we have to rely on!!

I may possibly be, most likely unquestionably probably am very mistaken, but I'd think anyone wanting a GEC would be more interested in the knife, than the tube.
Not right, upsetting, and frustrating they kept the tube. However, it is much better they "only" kept the tube, and not the knife and everything else.

Really appreciate all the feedback guys. I was more upset yesterday when I first opened my mailbox than I am now. I'm not all giddy about the situation, mind you. But there are bigger tragedies in life...
Indeed there are mate...but that does not mean we should not strive to raise the bar ...GEC is a tiny company doing it...postal and customs services are massive with associated massive amounts of money and profit...why then is their standard so poor...

....like Customs wrecking the finish of a guitar. HotGuts HotGuts that suuuuuucks! My heart goes out to you. Also, my knife came through Ontario I believe.

They are trying to spare your feelings. My guess is they damaged the tube trying to get a look at its contents, then figured no tube at all would upset you less than having to view the mangled remains.
It is not the business to decide which part of your mail gets to you...uf they mangled it they should be filling out the claim fir the insurance on your behalf and writing you an apology!!!

That is my belief also. Added insurance just makes it known there is something of value in it. I also don't believe I would ever get the full insured value on a knife.
Insurance is stand over thuggery ...we are all so paranoid these days...something could go wrong....oh oh now I think it will...here have some money...OR..just do the job properly...
Internet sales and packages have been a huge boost to mail services globally when email took over from letters...and bills in the post.
Anyhow glad you got your knife in the end.
Cheers.

Some of my favorite GEC knives were second-hand purchases without the original tube. Didn't affect my enjoyment of them one bit. Though I was not concerned with resale value. Still have them.

Customs charged me $34.00 Canadian, for what I am not sure!! There is nothing like it produced in Canada, so it's not competing goods, but I am glad it got here today!!:D Hooray!!
It took nearly 3 weeks from Houston:eek:, but at least it's here!!
See next post!!:rolleyes:

Back