Canadian knife laws, flippers

A lot of people are asking about the “new Canadian knife law about flipper folders now being illegal”. This whole flipper thing in Canada started at the Canadian customs office in Ottawa. It has to do with customs fighting with Kershaw over the last couple of years. Customs is saying that because the flipper travels through the handle, they are calling it a switchblade! What? A switchblade is one type of knife. Button on the handle. As you may know, the LAW states that you MUST assist the blade to start the opening and then the cam takes over. That is LAW!! The flipper is part of the blade!!!! All of this info that people are seeing and hearing are actual individual court decisions based on one judge. The LAW has NOT changed. Kai’s lawyers got together with a Canadian team of lawyers and were told to stay fast as they agreed with Kai’s lawyers. Bottom line is, at this point, it IS STILL legal to own and use flipper folders in Canada. I do know that if you order yourself a flipper across the border, it’s GONE! They are stopping individuals from buying them across the border. So bottom line line is that this law will be in limbo until someone makes move. Kai is not shipping to Canada for only one reason only! They don’t want to lose their stock, period! I spoke to Benchmade, Kershaw and others about this and they are getting the same emails which is a recent court order of a guy which wanted his knives back which included folders that opened with centrifugal force, Which is understandable,and also had a couple of flippers, which I won’t name the brand. He ended up just losing the court case. I hope this helps anyone out there who has flippers and are afraid that they will lose them. Go ahead and use them as they are not illegal.

A flipper is a knife in which the user must use his finger to actuate a protrusion as part of the blade itself, to open the knife blade..wether that be spring assisted or on bearings.
An automatic knife is a knife in which the user pushes a button on the scale (side opening knife) or a slider forward or backward (OTF Knife) which opens the knife blade automatically.
Trying to figure out what Canada doesn't understand?

A flipper is a knife in which the user must use his finger to actuate a protrusion as part of the blade itself, to open the knife blade..wether that be spring assisted or on bearings.
An automatic knife is a knife in which the user pushes a button on the scale (side opening knife) or a slider forward or backward (OTF Knife) which opens the knife blade automatically.
Trying to figure out what Canada doesn't understand?
Don't bother. Reality bends to their will, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but the form says its a cow, then boy you better get to milking.

Had an email tonight from a Canadian knife retailer in Ontario I have dealt with and they say that importation of flippers and assisted knives could be at an end in the near future. They are encouraging us to purchase their current stock before it dries up.

,,,Mike in Canada

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum but have been collecting for years. I live in Canada and unfortunately have been dealing with this same problem. It makes absolutely no sense and meanwhile I read an article the other day about CBSA allowing Flame Throwers into canada but not flipper knives. So as usual with CBSA, logic is tossed out the window.

I have found a petition that is going around regarding lifting this ban and I have posted it below for anyone who is interested in helping raise awareness and remove this restriction. Thanks for your time.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-ca/563/546/734/stop-the-ban-on-flipper-knives/

There is a similar petition to end the ban on carrying autos here in California with a blade greater than 2 inches.
Unfortunately, our politicians in this State are blinded by facts or anything that makes sense to you and me. Good luck with the petition though.

I am not sure whether or not Kershaw Skyline flippers are currently technically legal or not. The rationale supporting the fact it is currently legal own and use these flipppers is sound but the damage is done. While I am sure there me be the odd retailer risking persecution the skyline model is no longer currently available in Canada let alone shipping across the boarder. The counsel for any reputable dealer would have advised any retailer to consider the kershaw skyline and its defining features outlined in the CITT ruling as a prohibited weapon.

The big picture is a subtle movement towards a ban on one-handed opening knives period. CITT is the enforcer. Their tactics may be slippery but believe me there is an overt long-term strategy at play. Fighting this intiatives on the merits of subjective interpretation is futile.

The end goal is not supported by current legislation hence the up roar. The only constant in this world is change and the first rule of change management is recognizing change is almost never a sinlge event despite in the connotation. Long history of ambiguity and self serving corercive maneauvering by both the CITT and CBSA.

Kershaw Skyline done. Next step maybe publish a long list of knifes they take expection with under the new and arbitrary reclassification. Guarranteed these knives will disappear as fast as the skyline.

"Ya but if you really want it you will be available to find on the blackmarket" - So True but...

Step 3 - " Finally Honorable members of parliment to validate the need for Bill XXX I point to a thrieving and unregulated blackmarket of prohibited folding knives. Please vote yes and support a full ban on one-handed opening pocket knives"

Step 4 - " I had no idea stamp collecting could be so much fun"

Sorry stamp collectors just messin.

Keep in mind that for a long time the Kershaw speedsafe system was actually enshrined by CBSA as being very good and legal because there was no way to flick one open without first starting the blade. Those were the old rules. I think we are just collateral damage, and the reality is that this is just another case of the left hand not knowing what postcode the right is in. This will be a long slow fight. Australia had the same thing, but they did finally realize that one-handed openers do have a valid use, and so imports were again allowed. As I said before, gotta dig in and tell your MP that CITT and CBSA need to get the leash pulled back in a bit.

I am not sure whether or not Kershaw Skyline flippers are currently technically legal or not. The rationale supporting the fact it is currently legal own and use these flipppers is sound but the damage is done. While I am sure there me be the odd retailer risking persecution the skyline model is no longer currently available in Canada let alone shipping across the boarder. The counsel for any reputable dealer would have advised any retailer to consider the kershaw skyline and its defining features outlined in the CITT ruling as a prohibited weapon.

Kershaw Skyline done. Next step maybe publish a long list of knifes they take expection with under the new and arbitrary reclassification. Guarranteed these knives will disappear as fast as the skyline.

Sooooo much miss information on this forum!

http://www.camouflage.ca/kershaw_skyline_knife_p/ker1760.htm

https://www.gorillasurplus.com/kershaw-skyline-1760#knifeedge=Plain Edge

By definition they are not illegal and they are hard to find because they are great knives and are sold out.

This is why I stopped replying to my other thread to start a knife rights org. way to many people complaining and not enough people doing. I'll just fight this my own way!

Last edited:
This is why I stopped replying to my other thread to start a knife rights org. way to many people complaining and not enough people doing. I'll just fight this my own way!
I guess it's because nobody knows what to do that would be effective.

I admire the energy to fight such asinine legislation. It's the passion of the people on this forum that inspired me to join.

My apologies if I was unclear or my assertion that this ruling has impacted the availability of the skyline is deemed misinformation.

Born in the 60's Internet sleuthing in not my strong suite so I attempted to validate my assertion the old fashioned way and picked up the phone.

I contacted 4 retailers who recently discontinued the skyline. Approx 1:40min.

1. Small specialty knife store. One store - no comment
2. Small specialty knife store. Two store fronts and online store - absolutely discontinued skyline as result of the CITT ruling.
3. Speciality knife store probably most famous with 17 stores. Discontinued as result of Ruling. Adamant still legal to own. Decision made before appeal results.
4. Big Box 493 stores across Canada - ' strange usually system provides a reason which is either backordered or stop order. That is unusual. You will have to contact corporate.' I did not have time to chase confirmation.

There is enough information in the profiles to identify who I contacted. You can do your own research and draw your own conclusions as I fully agree misinformation can be very harmful in this environment.

Very subjective but my gut feeling tells me the availability has been impacted. Good enough for Columbo.

Back