Canadian Knife Laws

Ohhh it’s a total BS!! Sounds like they going after whatever they can! I’ve had 2 blades sitting at customs right now for almost a month and a half! Nothing else in package, just 2 blades. It’s def getting out of hand lately

Looking at the petition, and the response, it would seem to me that the easy answer was "no" as the petition doesn't state that this leads to conflict between import guidelines and national laws. Its asking a technical question of a non-technical body that will not make a technically minded decision. The reality is that just like the rest of Canada's and many other countries laws in regards to a technology, the law will never be able to cover the objects in question. Until we change the culture of of our legal frameworks, this will always be the case.

Translation in French:

Merde!

In English:

Comrades!
We know what’s best for you.
Your Wrongthink endangers Public Safety
And now we know who you are

Our Liberal government and the civil service have proved themselves incurably corrupt in the SNC/Lavalin affair. There is no chance for us if they are not thrown out in October.

But at least we can twin with Venezuela.

That’s not politics, it’s the law: in Canada there is no real difference anymore.

Did anyone really think that it was gonna go our way?

Just keep your knives away from the Border...they're fine in the rest of the country. :thumbsup:

Ordering from outside of Canada remains--and will remain--a matter of playing the lottery to see if your purchase will arrive.

Just an update of my story about my XM-24 seized by CBSA...i quit trying to get or return my XM-24 Bowie nothing was working so instead i bought from warriors and wonders in Canada one XM-24 Spearpoint cuz they dont have the Bowie style and i bought Rick Hinderer RANCH BOWIE (fixed blade model) from action-concept in USA from ebay.com and wanted to see how it will goes with CBSA, here how it went...the knife was described as Chef Knife by the seller and CBSA upon receiving it declared it as 3924100099 kitchenware/utensils, nes / vaisselle - plastique, NDA .....and charged me 80$CA import. Seriouly...what...is...ohh...nevermind...So conclusion my RANCH BOWIE went in CBSA TERRITORY the same day my XM-24 Bowie was suppose to be destroyed so my XM-24 Bowie must be dead by now and all this "BS" made me lose money...so being threaten like we dont know is kind of how we need to take it i guess...

Wow! That's pretty outrageous.
Your experience further confirms what I have been thinking. Rational thinking and "reasonableness" seems to have gone out of the window long ago for many things in people's lives. And with all of this stress, BS and frustration, people still wonder why mental health problems are on the rise... But, in a cynical world, that might be just what some people want because it supports their efforts to further deprive people of their freedom and individuality.

Oh, and I very much doubt all of those knives will be destroyed... I wonder how many will be "lost in transit" for destruction, especially considering that they are legal to sell!

Last edited:
In the USA there are four branches of government: the legislative, the judicial, the executive and administrative aka the bureaucracy aka the deep nstate.
In Canada the legislative and executive are combined but the deep state, customs, Rev Can, etc. still rules most everyday life.
And they have their own agenda about knives, and some other things besides.
They are as unaccountable as mandarins, but their fingernails are shorter.

I would implore anyone still risking seizures to avoid the Western terminal at all costs, and avoid getting shipments direct from knife/sporting good retailers.
Vancouver/Richmond appears to be the most strict about checking on international inbounds, and all my woes regarding knives reside there. I've had great fortune taking a little extra precaution, using a little extra communication w/ secondary market sellers and paying a little extra to route things where I want them.

Secondly, use a proxy if you're buying from a retailer. Have it shipped to a friendly party south of our border on the east side to ensure things go through the Eastern terminal. Discuss w/ your proxy about taking the knife down to individual components, shipping in separate packages and using vague (BUT STILL ACCURATE) language on the contents description. Things like knife, cutlery, kitchen/camp tool are completely out of the question at this point and are almost a surefire way to get your stuff taken away. Marking things as a "gift" with a low declared value heavily increases your chances of things passing through. Alternatively, using terminology like "spare parts" for disassembled knives is completely accurate and also seems to yield a high success rate.

I had one blade seized and changed my process completely to reflect the above. I have not yet used multiple parcels to get a knife across, I just have my proxy disassemble and mark as a gift. No matter what you do, you still run the risk. Unfortunately it's a risk many of us are still willing to take because of the insane price markup many of our retailers have/have had to implement due to the difficulty in getting these products across. Not to mention the US market is much more saturated with hard to find models, midtechs, customs.

Happy hunting and good luck!

Thanks for the informative write up.
I've found the same with the Western borders... stay away.

Which proxy have you had luck with ?
They dont damage the knives during disassembly etc?

Thanks for the informative write up.
I've found the same with the Western borders... stay away.

Which proxy have you had luck with ?
They dont damage the knives during disassembly etc?

I have a friend in the Northeast US I use. I just ship direct to him, he takes the knife down into blade, handles, hardware and I have him tape up the blade in fabric on the opposite end of the package to the handles. Mark as a gift w/ a value under $50 and send my way. Have not had a hiccup with this yet. Package usually only spends a few minutes in customs until it clears. Haven't had anything come with yellow tape doing it this way yet.
He hasn't damaged anything yet, I pay him well for this service so he takes precautions and uses electrical tape/rubber bands on his drivers to not mar up the finish on pivots and ano'd hardware. I haven't had a hiccup using him yet.

I have a friend in the Northeast US I use. I just ship direct to him, he takes the knife down into blade, handles, hardware and I have him tape up the blade in fabric on the opposite end of the package to the handles. Mark as a gift w/ a value under $50 and send my way. Have not had a hiccup with this yet. Package usually only spends a few minutes in customs until it clears. Haven't had anything come with yellow tape doing it this way yet.
He hasn't damaged anything yet, I pay him well for this service so he takes precautions and uses electrical tape/rubber bands on his drivers to not mar up the finish on pivots and ano'd hardware. I haven't had a hiccup using him yet.

Im super worried right now. I just bought a Strider SMF from U.S. and im wondering if it will be seized or not. I need your reply today (asap please) did you have been able to import folder from U.S. since this absurd law without issues ? did you have packaged seized & destroyed ?? please i need to talk to you , check my thread in Knife LAW and answer me there !

Im super worried right now. I just bought a Strider SMF from U.S. and im wondering if it will be seized or not. I need your reply today (asap please) did you have been able to import folder from U.S. since this absurd law without issues ? did you have packaged seized & destroyed ?? please i need to talk to you , check my thread in Knife LAW and answer me there !

Read the post you quoted, he gets the knives shipped over taken apart in the package. Others have the blade and handles shipped separately. If you are having it shipped assembled, yes you are at risk of the CBSA. It might get through or it might not, we can not say for sure.

Also sorry I missed this earlier, thanks for the explanation! Makes perfect sense to me

You asked to mark it as a "GIFT" and declared value under $50
but what you write in the CONTENT DECLARATION ??

Back