Can't decide between Micarta inlay or plain Sebenza 21..

I bought two Small Sebenza 21 Insingo's -- Plain and Micarta. IMO, the Micarta feels good because it gives the knife a bit more thickness to hold onto and the Micarta scales don't make the knife feel as slippery if that makes sense. Just my 2¢

Last edited:
I hear that the micarta wears well, so either one would be okay for a good amount of use. I personally like how the inlays look, compared to the plain ones, but I also don't dislike the plain ones.
If you're paying MSRP, the plain will be much cheaper. However, you could always end up finding a nice deal on either of them.
What are your initial thoughts?

1. Do you want the Sebenza 21 to be as light as possible or heavier?

2. Does it matter to you that the finish on the Micarta version might not be restorable to mint condition via CRK's Spa treatment?

3. Do you like a cleaner/plain titanium look or a 21 with a little character and extra grip?

4. Is cost a factor?

Thanks guys for your inputs.
I plan to carry it as my EDC. is the Micarta black or greyish? I saw both on the Internet.

I believe that somebody mentioned that it starts out at a black-ish color, then wears to that gray tone that you saw.

I always like to have some sort of design or inlay as it is more aesthetically pleasing to me, and can add character, but the plain jane on can have character too. The main difference is cost, you pay for designs and inlays. I am still new to CRK, but it seems many members like the feel of the Sebenza with the inlay better.

I have held a micarta seb, did not like the 'grease' build up from users hands.

So it depends on you, I only get sebenzas with wood, but because I like the feel, its not lacking any grip whatsoever.

I came close to buying a 21 with Micarta inlays, but I settled on the plain titanium handle 21. I like the clean look and thin profile, although I think the inlays give Sebbies a touch of class.

Mine does not look anywhere near black despite being new. What can I do to get it black?

The micarta inlay does add a little more heft to the overall dimension which is better for me.
But I can live and EDC both.

I prefer the large plain and the small with micarta.

rocks012.jpg

Last edited:
The micarta inlays start out grey as the material is bias-cut to expose the linen thread in the black epoxy. Over time the threads darken as they soil and the scales become dark and shiny. Some of the original grey finish can be restored by washing the scales with mild hand soap, which lifts out the dirt and oil and exposes the linen thread again. If you're not a 'user' you will not have to worry about it either way.

My personal experience is that the bead blast finish, when new, is far more 'grippy' than the micarta scales when worn in to a dark polish. You can always get the jane scales refinished. My opinion is buy the micarta scales if you like the way they look, but which offers better traction is a total toss-up. The micarta has a little more bulk, so is maybe nicer in hand, but worse in pocket. My knife is more often in my pocket than my hand, so maybe I would vote for plane jane.

Micarta all the way for a user. I have a micarta large classic, and a micarta large Insingo. I've had numerous plain smalls and larges, including graphics and wood inlays. Micarta was the most comfortable to use and hold onto, but I wouldn't discount those without micarta. I have a new pivot Umnumzaan, and it is easy to grip/use.

I had a large Regular and small Regular plain slabs, but I much prefer the Small Insingo Micarta. The added thickness and slight grippness make a very good combination. I would have a hard time going back to plain slabs.

I've posted this before...

Before purchasing a micarta insingo, I'd never seen one in person. Frankly, I didn't think it looked like anything special. On a whim, I purchased one - wondering what all the buzz was about. As soon as I removed it from the signature white box, it was love at first sight. It looks SO MUCH better in person.

Pictures really don't do it justice, you must hold it to understand the attraction. If you're able to, I would try to go to a local shop and try them out. Worst case scenario, purchase both and you will have no problem selling the one you like least. Of course, that is if you're able to let one go.

I agree with RKDiddy. I had an instant attraction to my large Insingo Micarta, and if the house were on fire I'd have to make sure I grabbed it (and my Emerson CQC8 I modified to look like a Super Journeyman) as I ran out of the house.

If I could grab only one it'd be the Insingo. And I personally really like the micarta. Had double thumb lugs installed (in silver) and it's already like an old friend. I never want to part with it.

Back