Can't remove stuck pivot screw out of my knife - tried everything :-( HELP!

Addicted_to_Knives

Gold Member
Can't remove stuck pivot screw out of my knife...

Tried WD40... Then inserting rubber + wiha T10 on top (both sides)... Double paper towel... Put enormous pressure and force I think I damaged the screws a bit, stripped them, but still nothing...

Just want to open my knife and do some oiling, maintenance, recently got on ebay for a collector and this thing is giving me a super headache...

All the screws are like this, I was able to get 3 out with the use of rubber piece and my Wiha T8... This thing is very stubborn.

Can I send to someone to fix this? Members here who do repairs? Can anyone please help?

Knife: Fantoni HB-01 Harsey Design

7Vrpf6U.jpg

Last edited:
I have the tools, but I've never disassembled a k ife to oil or clean it.

I have disassembled knives to fix internal bits before.

Can6t help you with why it won't come apart.

I have the tools, but I've never disassembled a k ife to oil or clean it.

I have disassembled knives to fix internal bits before.

Can6t help you with why it won't come apart.

Since I bought it online, I do a very thorough cleaning at first, take it all apart, clean with alcohol pads, then oil the pivot area with KPL, the rest very lightly with Tuff Glide, then put it all back and oil lightly the blade. In general I do like taking the knife apart. This one was not smooth for closing and opening and I had a feeling there might be some dust, etc accumulated inside, happened with two of my online purchases when I bought used. cleaned the crap out, oiled and works fine...

I just never had the situation the screws are so tight even with applying enormous force and pressure I was not able to get them out. But there has to be a way...

Now I might also need to buy additional pivot screws.

Can't remove stuck pivot screw out of my knife...

Tried WD40... Then inserting rubber + wiha T10 on top (both sides)... Double paper towel... Put enormous pressure and force I think I damaged the screws a bit, stripped them, but still nothing...

All the screws are like this, I was able to get 3 out with the use of rubber piece and my Wiha T8... This thing is very stubborn.
Hi
sounds like its been glued in with threadlock/ loctite/locktite

I imagine you make do like

forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74060&hilit=loctite

Red Loctite - An Official Statement from Spyderco - Spyderco Forums

How to Remove Stubborn Screws from a Knife

According to the manufacturers of Loctite 263, the red Loctite used on Spyderco’s US-made knives, screws treated with it can be removed by applying heat. However, its specifications state that a temperature of more than 360 degrees Fahrenheit must be reached for it to soften. Such temperatures could easily damage the scales and other components of your knife. Instead, we recommend the following process:

1) Ensure that you have the proper size Torx® driver for your screws and that the driver head is in good condition. A single-piece, screwdriver-style driver works best.
2) Place your knife on a workbench or other hard surface. Use a paper towel or rag to protect the handle from scratches.
3) Insert the tip of the Torx driver into the screw head and ensure that it fits properly.
4) Tap the handle of the driver several times with a hammer to “shock” the screw and break the Loctite bond.
5) Maintain a firm, constant, downward pressure on the Torx driver as you rotate it to remove the screw.
6) If this method is not successful on the first try, repeat as necessary or return your knife to Spyderco with $5.00 for return shipping. We will loosen your knife’s screws upon request.

The soldering iron trick worked for me when Red Loctite was used. Give it a try. It did take a little bit of time to heat up the screw...just be careful.

Thank you all! Since I already damaged the pivot and stripped it along with few other screws, I am going to send it to LaMar Blade & Edge in North Carolina for repair - want all screws changed with new high quality ones. I love to dissemble and reassemble my knives and guns, computers, car engines... This one had been sitting in a collectors display for some time, so its understandably stubborn knife to take apart. But at this point I'd rather have a professional deal with it, before I damage the blade or handle, etc... I have few more very collectible knives coming my way that will need disassembly, so I hope I can find a trusted knife repairman who will be my knife guy! The last guy who tried to sharpen my M390 and took my Benchmade Barrage 581 apart completely screwed the blade and was not able to put it back - a friend of mine who did this for "free". So at this point I will trust my knife's fate into professional hands.

Thank you all!

was going to recommend sending it to Josh @ REK Sharpening ... but you found a place to send it already ...

and a good set of grabits or easy outs ... the micro set is handy for buggered up knife screws ... for future thought.

I would add ... that if you like to disassemble your knives for whatever reason ... it's well worth it to buy quality bits and drivers ...

I recommend Wiha brand bits and drivers ... they are about as good as it gets ... Wera has a nice ratcheting driver that I like a lot too ... but having good quailty good fitting bits will safe a lot of headaches in the future .

Back