Can't search

I just noticed one more bit of news:
look at the AVATARS and SIGS of so many of them (which BTW are hosted ENTIRELY FREE thanks to PHOTOBUCKET and the like so it costs NOTHING to the forum...

attachment.php

I'm sure there's lots more entertainment buried in those long paragraphs, but I don't have time right now. Maybe later....

Like I said, it is an opinion...right now there are 24 Platinum members on board...represents $1200 bucks a year and 77 Gold representing almost 2000 a year...that ain't even the $10 a year annually and this is only in this minute...well over 3000 at this very moment so yes, well over 10K annually...do the math...which currently as well is WELL over 1% so yes I am quite certain i am correct.

Say I take your wife or girlfriend...then demand payment...extortion on any level...taking away and asking for payment is extortion.,..I don't care how you slice it.

I did notuice that there is no advertising, yes, but define advertising...how many knife makers ADVERTISE AT 800 a year??? Yes, that is advertising.

Any more questions?

Hey, I am 35 years old, not some punk. I am a mature adult...this is an opinion...I will rap with you all night.

sorry 10 knife makers...am I correct that they are 800 a year? That means the number at this very moment...not even in prime time impressively exceeded 10K.

sorry 10 knife makers...am I correct that they are 800 a year? That means the number at this very moment...not even in prime time impressively exceeded 10K.

Actually the maker price is $40.00/yr

10*40=400 U.S. dollars

Am I really following your reasoning here? Seems like you've looked at the users online at the moment and assumed that paying members as a group and registered users as a group spend the same amount of time logged in, so the percentage of paying members among those online at the moment is the same as the percentage of paying members among the 100,000 people who have ever registered since 1998?

Anyway, I'm going to bed now; it's late here. Briefly, all your assumptions are wrong, however you arrived at them, and much of your reasoning is also wrong, and thus the validity of your conclusions can only be measured in terms of lolcats.

Bladeforums has always been operated at a loss, and in all probability always will be. As forum websites go, the bigger the forum the bigger the loss. A small forum with 50 or 100 users or so costs very little to run in terms of money, and doesn't necessarily have to take a lot of time either. A forum the size of Bladeforums is a different proposition entirely.

I wouldn't use the work "pesky", but something more like inconsiderate, self-centered, selfish....Yeah, something like that....

Inconsiderate & self-centered???? Every large production knife making company has the funds to run their own forum... but yet you choose to pick on Busse & Busse forumites because even though they have one, we like it here, prefer to be here, and contribute to this site... And apparently you don't like us. Too bad, 'cause we're here until Spark tells us to go.

Selfish??? YOU are the one complaining that you temporarily lost the ability to search posts & threads & then you point the finger at Busse as the culprit, and yet I see your name in free membership blue... Let's do a little math, shall we??

Platinum Membership @ $50/yr.... Per day, less than $.14
Gold Membership @$25/yr.... Per day, less than $.07
Basic Membership @ $10/yr.... Per day, less than $.03

...I'd say that's pretty damned reasonable for what is provided here at BladeForums, and I feel that even @ Platinum, this site is worth every penny.

You can't find even ten dollars to pony up for what equals some pretty cheap & informative entertainment??? I find that very hard to believe... How many knives do YOU own? ...And you call those of US who frequent the Busse Combat sub-forum SELFISH??? Get real. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Sounds like you fit your own description pretty well with that inconsiderate, self-centered & selfish BS. I'm not saying that you should get a paid membership, but we in the Busse forum do try hard to keep our paying membership numbers up so that we can help do our part to keep this site running. Perhaps you should choose you words more carefully... Or SOMETHING like that. :rolleyes: :yawn::yawn:

Unbelievable... :rolleyes:

Inconsiderate & self-centered???? Every large production knife making company has the funds to run their own forum... but yet you choose to pick on Busse & Busse forumites because even though they have one, we like it here, prefer to be here, and contribute to this site... And apparently you don't like us. Too bad, 'cause we're here until Spark tells us to go.

Selfish??? YOU are the one complaining that you temporarily lost the ability to search posts & threads & then you point the finger at Busse as the culprit, and yet I see your name in free membership blue... Let's do a little math, shall we??

Platinum Membership @ $50/yr.... Per day, less than $.14
Gold Membership @$25/yr.... Per day, less than $.07
Basic Membership @ $10/yr.... Per day, less than $.03

...I'd say that's pretty damned reasonable for what is provided here at BladeForums, and I feel that even @ Platinum, this site is worth every penny.

You can't find even ten dollars to pony up for what equals some pretty cheap & informative entertainment??? I find that very hard to believe... How many knives do YOU own? ...And you call those of US who frequent the Busse Combat sub-forum SELFISH??? Get real. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Sounds like you fit your own description pretty well with that inconsiderate, self-centered & selfish BS. I'm not saying that you should get a paid membership, but we in the Busse forum do try hard to keep our paying membership numbers up so that we can help do our part to keep this site running. Perhaps you should choose you words more carefully... Or SOMETHING like that. :rolleyes: :yawn::yawn:

Unbelievable... :rolleyes:

How many other knife companies shut down this forum with their sales games? I'll tell you: none. What if more of them were as inconsiderate as Busse? Does Busse have some special rights or priviledges?

Busse has their own forum. They don't need to abuse this one. No matter what you and the other Busse fans pay, you are inconsiderate if you think you have the right to shut down the forum. And you are self-centered if you think that just because you are paying members you have the right to deprive others, paying or otherwise, of their right to access this forum.

I haven't complained about losing the ability to search. If you read my post on the subject, I actually said it has never worked well any way and is no loss. Don't put words in my mouth to justify your selfishness. You are not injuring only non-paying members, but all members with your game.

Attacking me does nothing to legitimize your selfish, rude, inconsiderate behavior. Whether I am a paid member or not is not the point despite your clumsy attempts to deflect the issue, the fact is Busse shuts down the site for EVERYONE with their "ganza". How do you justify that? Because you are paying members you have that right? Maybe a little dictionary time would be of help to you; see: selfish, inconsiderate, and self-centered.

Not trying to stir the pot, just putting in an opinion...as a vet, I fought for my right to an opinion and freedom of speech so I am going to say it since it is my right.
I might as well stop you here.

You don't have a right to free speech on this site. This site is private property. You are not "entitled" to anything on here, your access to this site is at the whim of the owner, namely me.

Servers cost money. Storage costs money. Tech support costs money. Bandwidth costs money. My time is worth money. The people who pay for memberships here are the only reason why this site is still open, and whatever shortfalls come up in the expenses, I personally make them up.

You think you deserve everything for free? Go tell that to the power company. Go try to get some gas and tell the attendant that you don't feel like paying. Heck, CNC-GUY how about you tell your Mill, Lathe, or Machining Center supplier that you want a new VMC with 5 axis+ operation for free. It ain't going to happen. So recognize - life isn't free.

You still have access to this site, which I provide as a courtesy to this industry. I am not, however, obligated to bankrupt myself so that people like yourself never have to be inconvenienced while my paying customers are without service. Nor am I obligated to give you anything, quite frankly, so if you feel extorted, feel free to leave - no one forced you to sign up here to begin with.

I'll challenge you to find a single free forum site that is:

1. Our size
2. Not advertising supported (banner ads, interstitials, keywords)
3. Has been open as long as we've been.
4. Has our length of history available.

As for the Busse-ganza operations, I'll be talking about Jerry to see what's going on there, but rest assured, they are more than welcome here. If there are temporary problems related to their activities, we'll work together to find a solution.

Spark, i followed the link for international members, but basic membership seems to be absent, can i only become a gold member for 30$ by paying by CC?

Single year Basic membership isn't available for international customers.

How many other knife companies shut down this forum with their sales games? I'll tell you: none. What if more of them were as inconsiderate as Busse? Does Busse have some special rights or priviledges?
Busse has their own forum. They don't need to abuse this one. No matter what you and the other Busse fans pay, you are inconsiderate if you think you have the right to shut down the forum. And you are self-centered if you think that just because you are paying members you have the right to deprive others, paying or otherwise, of their right to access this forum.

I haven't complained about losing the ability to search. If you read my post on the subject, I actually said it has never worked well any way and is no loss. Don't put words in my mouth to justify your selfishness. You are not injuring only non-paying members, but all members with your game.

Attacking me does nothing to legitimize your selfish, rude, inconsiderate behavior. Whether I am a paid member or not is not the point despite your clumsy attempts to deflect the issue, the fact is Busse shuts down the site for EVERYONE with their "ganza". How do you justify that? Because you are paying members you have that right? Maybe a little dictionary time would be of help to you; see: selfish, inconsiderate, and self-centered.

kuribo, so I'm selfish because I participate in a 'Ganzaaaa, and it causes less than an hour's interruption to the site every few months? I don't enjoy the fact that the rest of the members are inconvenienced, but the last few with the exception of this latest one, have gone much more smoothly and until we are told by Spark that these 'Ganzaaa events can no longer be held here, I will continue to participate in them...
Per your suggestion, I checked the dictionary, and good for you, you have found a few synonyms for 'selfish'. Now please take my suggestion and get a spellchecker.
I do apologize to you for saying that you were complaining that we were the cause for the temporary loss of the search function... Instead you are complaining that "It never worked well any way, and is no loss."... But you sure pointed the finger at us in the Busse forum quickly enough. It seems that you have done a good amount of complaining around this site recently. :rolleyes:
...Attacking YOU? Talk about rude...

I wouldn't use the work "pesky", but something more like inconsiderate, self-centered, selfish....Yeah, something like that....
Do you not recognize your own quote? :rolleyes: ...If you wish to pursue this conversation, I suggest that you open a thread over in the Whine & Cheese forum and we can continue this topic in a venue more suitable for its content. I'm finished posting in here as we have taken this OT far enough from the OP's question... Let's not be rude to Spark & the OP.

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

Have you considered asking forumites for hardware donations in lieu of cash?

If you want to toss a couple $10,000 servers my way, I won't complain. Past that, though, having a stack of hard drives & motherboards doesn't cover datacenter fees, T1's, tech support or my time as well.

I've had some surprising people call me up and offer assistance from time to time in the past. Some of these people have made generous offers as well. Unfortunately we haven't stumbled upon the one solution that works perfectly for everyone. What we have right now works pretty well though.

If you want to toss a couple $10,000 servers my way, I won't complain.
Ironically, a basic membership (still only $10!) will cost less than the postage to ship those servers.

...Once again, if all the loyal lurkers and proud posters each ponied up $10 for even a basic membership, it would solve this question.

kuribo, so I'm selfish because I participate in a 'Ganzaaaa, and it causes less than an hour's interruption to the site every few months?

Well at least you can admit that is causes an interruption.

And yes, it is selfish because Busse has their own site and have absolutely no need or right to disrupt service on this site for any length of time whatsoever.. For people who pay to use this site, any interruption is uncalled for and an infringement on their paid for rights to access. Again, if more companies pulled the same stunt, it would be a major hassle. As it is, it is only Busse and even though it may only be a minor inconvenience to you, others may feel differently, especially those that pay to access this site. Who are you to decide what is a "reasonable" inconvenience?

I agree with you on one point- do not want to waste anymore space here arguing....

Kuribo, honestly you should let me worry about the effects this has on the server. I know you dislike the interruptions and I appreciate that. Your opinion has been noted.

Well at least you can admit that is causes an interruption.

Who are you to decide what is a "reasonable" inconvenience?

Who are you to tell me what I have or have not decided? Where in my post did I claim that the 'Ganzaaa's are a "reasonable" inconvenience"?
kuribo, so I'm selfish because I participate in a 'Ganzaaaa, and it causes less than an hour's interruption to the site every few months? I don't enjoy the fact that the rest of the members are inconvenienced, but the last few with the exception of this latest one, have gone much more smoothly and until we are told by Spark that these 'Ganzaaaa events can no longer be held here, I will continue to participate in them...

I didn't decide what you claim. This is not my website. I merely participate. It seems that you have much to say concerning Busse Combat and those of us who frequent this sub-forum. Since you also seem to have taken on the task of judging us on how wrong and selfish we are :rolleyes:... I'm waiting for you to open that thread in Whine & Cheese to speak your mind, or to drop the argument. Your call.

My apologies to you, Spark, for responding yet again to this member here. He has written more than just a few negative posts recently concerning those of us who regularly visit the Busse sub-forum, in various threads. I feel that everyone is entitled (within reason) to their opinion, but I also feel that others have the right (within reason) to be allowed a chance for rebuttal. Again, I'm sorry for posting off topic on this thread.

Back