Recommendation? Cant seem to find what I am looking for.

I have spent over an hour looking around the internet trying to find a camping knife to my taste but can't seem to find anything decent for under $100 so I figured I would come ask here as last time I was looking for something I was having a hard time finding you guys helped me out. What I am looking for is an 7-8-inch (12-inch overall length) fixed-blade camping knife with a saw back, textured rubber grip (Like the kind on SOG knives) and a Bowie or similar shape. For some reason despite this not being a very long or unusual list of requirements finding all of these things in a mid-priced knife around $50 or so has proved impossible. I found a few that seem to meet the requirements but are overly cheap and not made of good steel. The closest thing I have found is the link below but I am not sure there is enough texture to the grip and am not sure if it is decent quality as I don't know much about knife brands. Any help is appreciated.

link to Amazon removed per forum guidelines

Last edited by a moderator:
I have spent over an hour looking around the internet trying to find a camping knife to my taste but can't seem to find anything decent for under $100 so I figured I would come ask here as last time I was looking for something I was having a hard time finding you guys helped me out. What I am looking for is an 7-8-inch (12-inch overall length) fixed-blade camping knife with a saw back, textured rubber grip (Like the kind on SOG knives) and a Bowie or similar shape. For some reason despite this not being a very long or unusual list of requirements finding all of these things in a mid-priced knife around $50 or so has proved impossible. I found a few that seem to meet the requirements but are overly cheap and not made of good steel. The closest thing I have found is the link below but I am not sure there is enough texture to the grip and am not sure if it is decent quality as I don't know much about knife brands. Any help is appreciated.
Advise you remove link to non-sponsor !

Advise you not copy and paste it -- staff

Last edited by a moderator:
81wRj-cSjsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For practical purposes, a saw back spine is worthless, if this is a coveted feature for use, reevaluate, if it’s just because it looks cool, then the cheapness matters less.
Should you want a saw, buy a folding saw like a silky or similar to pair with a better knife. You aren’t going to find a quality knife with a saw back spine because they are gimmicky and useless, especially in that price range.

There are many quality camping/survival/outdoorsy fixed blade knives that meet your criteria, with the exception of the saw back spine.

My honest recommendation is to get a knife and then separately a Silky folding saw. Not too many knives have a usable saw on the spine, and even if they did, I don't like holding a sharp edge towards my body while applying pressure to the back.
Good advice. I agree 100% :thumbsup:

Don't overthink it. It's a tool for camping and your choices are great. Get something that works for you and even though it may not tick all the boxes, it will probably work perfectly.

Something like this Mora would probably work excellently.........

Even Canterbury no longer carries or recommends these (in part because he went to in-house knife production). Better off with a Bushcraft Black, which is cheaper, more widely available, has a better sheath, and is less unwieldy.

I initially was going to suggest a Morakniv personally, and while it doesn't match your desired shape or aesthetics, it seems to me what you are after looks like a cheap movie prop and wouldn't perform much better than one. I would recommend a garberg S, paired with a silky saw or an opinel saw for any sawing needs

That blade profile is a fighter if anything. It certainly isn't a Bushcraft knife like it states in their ad in the first post.

Good advice. I agree 100% :thumbsup:

Don't overthink it. It's a tool for camping and your choices are great. Get something that works for you and even though it may not tick all the boxes, it will probably work perfectly.

Something like this Mora would probably work excellently.........
Anyone else blown away that there's a $100 Moraknive?? They are the quintessential $10 knife that works like a $50 knife. 😁

Insulting or Rude behavior
For practical purposes, a saw back spine is worthless, if this is a coveted feature for use, reevaluate, if it’s just because it looks cool, then the cheapness matters less.
Should you want a saw, buy a folding saw like a silky or similar to pair with a better knife. You aren’t going to find a quality knife with a saw back spine because they are gimmicky and useless, especially in that price range.

There are many quality camping/survival/outdoorsy fixed blade knives that meet your criteria, with the exception of the saw back spine.
I had considered going with a SOG Seal Pup https://sogknives.com/seal-pup-elite-nylon-sheath-black-tini-straight-edge-clam-pack/ and simply carrying a saw chain instead if I cant find something with a usable sawback with the grip I want. I am a fan of the SOG grips as they are well textured and have a little bit of give to them resulting in less wear and tear on the hands with frequent use. I have one of their compact machetes and honestly if carrying something that large would not draw attention in public and it wasn't too big for more precision use I would consider carrying that.
My honest recommendation is to get a knife and then separately a Silky folding saw. Not too many knives have a usable saw on the spine, and even if they did, I don't like holding a sharp edge towards my body while applying pressure to the back.
My issue is one of those is going to be WAY too big as I am looking for something I can put on a belt without adding a lot of weight and I am trying to avoid having 2 separate tools hence why I was considering a sawback.
Bahco makes a great knife/folding saw combo for about $32 on the big river site.
Not familiar with them do you have a link?

Last edited:
Started poking around SOGs site again as I am partial to their grips and found this https://sogknives.com/jungle-primitive/ This thing is actually fairly close to what I am looking for but interested if anyone else knows of anything better. I should add I also carry a letherman so I don't need a blade that can perform more precision tasks. This blade is intended to be a study workhorse and that is why I am opting for something so large.

link to Amazon removed per forum guidelines
The sawback is a bad idea. It looks great on film, but the saw is a constant snag device that makes the main edge all but unusable for cutting. It is also way too thick to actually saw through anything. Worse, the saw teeth are stress risers, and will serve to make your knife easier to break. One more thing; by cutting teeth into the spine you effectively take away from the blade height, making the cutting edge either weaker or more obtuse. Go with a good solid design like a Becker 7 or 9.

Btw, soft rubbery grips can get painful after a short period of use.

N2s

Might want to check out the Cold Steel Survivalist. No saw-back, and no rubber handle, but one solid piece of 52100 with an 8" bowie-style blade and well under $100.

Or, if you can go a bit smaller, the SRK has a 6" blade and rubber handle, but also no saw-back.

Back