Carbide Edge Technology - Use, Maintenance and Sharpening!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Carbide Edge - I get a lot of questions about my 72 RC Carbide Edge Titanium knives. I'll explain a bit here... also just ask if you have any questions! I have made well over 350 knives with the Carbide Edge technology and am proud to put my name on every one as I know they will perform!

Use and Edge Retention - the carbide edge has outstanding edge retention and even self sharpens on abrasive materials like cardboard. Carbide works very well on meat, bone, rubber, cloth, rope, etc. The edge will also saw wood, plastics and more. The carbide edge is very aggressive and just plows through most materials.

The edge stability is good and will hold up quite nicely. I like to stay away from aged hardwoods, thick plastics, drilling with the tip and metal as they are harder on the edge. Check my test video for some very hard use... you will see that these can take just about anything including mild batoning. I designed them for lighter use but was very impressed with what one can take.

Sharpening - these are easy to sharpen with most any setup. Build up a burr from the microbeveled side then just strop or hone off. I like somewhere around 400 grit to sharpen but most anything will do. As a note a finer edge will be easier to strop off and will remain toothy because of the carbide. The edge can get extremely sharp and will shave hair... but you will also get excellent results with a rougher edge than most. I only like to touch my edges up and let the carbide sharpen itself with use.

The Carbide Edge will never flake or wear off. I will apply carbide free of charge to your DFK if it is ever needed. But you won't... The edge is literally part of the knife.

Also - Ti/Carbide is virtually maintenance free, will never rust and a Backpacker with sheath only weighs 1 ounce! :D

I hope this helps you out and as mentioned please let me know here of you have any questions!

This video is with a slightly thicker model but it really shows what the combo can take. I did this as sort of a testing video as they are made for more normal use but they can really handle a lot. I need to do a video on the current model and show what they are meant for, EDC use and they really slice well.

[video=youtube;gaG1RPHiosE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaG1RPHiosE[/video]

Thanks, Daniel!
These kinds of blades are becoming more popular. They just make sense.
rolf

I think a lot of people think that titanium is hard to sharpen when in fact it is easier.I know I was a little hesitant at first. Maybe you could do a how to video on sharpening Ti knives?

I think a lot of people think that titanium is hard to sharpen when in fact it is easier.I know I was a little hesitant at first. Maybe you could do a how to video on sharpening Ti knives?

Good idea! I need to make one.

Easy to sharpen and the carbide will never wear or flake off... two big questions I get. They are very easy to sharpen. You could bend one in a pretzel shape with a big press then beat it with a hammer and the carbide would be good to go.

I asked Ben at Edgepro how to sharpen a carbidised Ti knife

His advice was
Main bevel at 400 grit till a burr is raised
Remove 400 grit scratches with 1000 grit stone
Polish with 2000 grit tape
Lay blue tape across back of flat side, strop carbidised side with 2000 grit tape (blue tape keeps from scratching the blade)
Polish with 3000 grit tape
Strop back with 3000 grit tape
Make sure burr is gone.

Got my Ti Bok scary sharp again

Hello Mr. Fairly,

I'm sometimes asked why I don't try a tungsten carbide treatment on my ti alloy swords. Well, soon I will be trying it, to some grade 23 (6al4v ELI) forged swords! :D I've wondered if it was durable under the sort of shock and impact that a sword is subjected to, or the sort of heavy wear that a machete may see. It sounds like the tungsten carbide is plenty tough, and your work makes it seem well worth it, particularly for a knife that must slice over and over.

Little knives in beta ti seem to work well for basic use without carbide, but for continuous heavy slicing use (like chef's work) they may benefit nicely from tungsten carbide treatment. Is the tungsten carbide edge appropriate for use with food?

I've found that beta ti machetes and swords don't need any special edge treatment at all, but their use and requirements are much different from a knife, of course. I have a tiny 6al4 ti knife with a carbidized edge (thanks, Lycosa ;)) and I'm pretty amazed at how sharp and tough the edge is.

Hello Mr. Fairly,

I'm sometimes asked why I don't try a tungsten carbide treatment on my ti alloy swords. Well, soon I will be trying it, to some grade 23 (6al4v ELI) forged swords! :D I've wondered if it was durable under the sort of shock and impact that a sword is subjected to, or the sort of heavy wear that a machete may see. It sounds like the tungsten carbide is plenty tough, and your work makes it seem well worth it, particularly for a knife that must slice over and over.

Little knives in beta ti seem to work well for basic use without carbide, but for continuous heavy slicing use (like chef's work) they may benefit nicely from tungsten carbide treatment. Is the tungsten carbide edge appropriate for use with food?

I've found that beta ti machetes and swords don't need any special edge treatment at all, but their use and requirements are much different from a knife, of course. I have a tiny 6al4 ti knife with a carbidized edge (thanks, Lycosa ;)) and I'm pretty amazed at how sharp and tough the edge is.

Most thanks Mecha!

I was out all day yesterday and am still tying up some loose ends now... I want to give a complete answer here so I'll be back! Big respect!

In short I think you'll really like the carbide, it works great all around. Message incoming. :D

Oh goodie, the straight-dope on tungsten carbide, from Daniel Fairly! :D

Back