Carbide sharpening products, gold or coal?

Which are better?

• Sharpens Best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Block Knife Sharpenee

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Has anyone ever bought from sharpens best or the block knife sharpener, if so what's your review on it? Before I get banished from this forum, I wanna know if these products actually work or not.

Waiting in the wings...

banhammer10982604.jpg

:D

Waste of time and money.

Scratch pattern plays a small role in overall sharpening but it matters enough when using these type of tools that hinders their effectiveness. So, it's not just about matching the angles properly like most believe, there was an adjustable angle Smith's brand pull through sharpener and it was still horrific.

Riping steel off edge and making ragged parallel tears on the bevel don't really help shape a nice <1um apex radius for a truly sharp edge.

These are basically tools for common folks in a pinch that don't have the time or interest making a nice edge. They will never rival the factory edge which leads to the rumor amongst some about knives never being as sharp as they are from the factory.

No one is born a sharpener and we have all chased the allure of simple, easy, and cheap solutions just to learn it was a waste of time and moved on.

I'mma straight up say they just don't work very well compared to using methods and tools that requires more time and effort to learn.

Just remember friends don't let friends use pull through sharpeners and carbide scrapers on there nice knives.

If your just sharpening a railroad spike knife, harbour freight folder or a cheap set of mystery steel kitchen knives have at it, but you could also probably get a better edge off a smooth piece of concrete on the sidewalk curb and some know how xD

Last edited:
Has anyone ever bought from sharpens best or the block knife sharpener, if so what's your review on it? Before I get banished from this forum, I wanna know if these products actually work or not.
I'm not familiar specifically with either. A well tuned carbide sharpener will make a serviceable edge and works far better in inexperienced hands than many other alternatives.
There are ways to use them that minimizes negative outcomes.

https://bladeforums.com/threads/the...d-you-with-micrographs.1145015/#post-13089672

I've experimented with the Smith's CCKS version. The carbide isn't abrasive, it cuts like a single tooth of a file. The ceramic side works just like a honing rod. I didn't get very good results with just the carbide, but I didn't spend a lot of time trying. I suspect I wasn't applying enough force to get the carbide to really bite. It may work better with softer steel.

I don't think it's ideal to sharpen parallel to the edge, but it works, and it's fairly easy, as long as your blade was sharpened at a lower angle than the jig and it's just blunted.

smiths-wc.jpg

smiths-wc-plus-ceramic.jpg

Back