Carbon fiber bugout vs mini freek?

565-1 or 536-3

• Total voters
I was wondering if anybody had both the 535-3 and 565-1, the carbon fiber s90 versions of both bugout and mini freek? I really like the look of both but I’m wondering how they compare. I’ve had both in the past, the bugouts I’ve had I’ve ended up selling or trading, they all felt s little too skinny for me. The only mini freek I’ve had was a standard one but had awt aluminum scales.

So, thoughts and opinions welcome.

535-3 by a hair, but only after some fixing. Mine had miserable action OOTB, and neither oversized washers nor polishing and tinkering would fix it, until I added an aftermarket backspacer. Now it’s perfect. My Mini Freek had fine action from new. Bugout is pretty skinny, and Mini Freek is a bit chubby but more cramped to grip, even with medium sized hands. The Freek blade has an effective jimped ramp, but the Bugout is usefully longer and thinner, if you want a slicer. If you’re seriously considering the 565-1, but aren't hooked on S90V and colored aluminum, take a look at the very similar Ritter Mini RSK made by Hogue. Its handle is thinner and more comfortable to me (after judicious sanding), and all it lacks is the bling and a good clip. Even with an aftermarket clip added, I think it’s a much better value and a solid alternative to the 565-1, and purchase supports a valuable knife rights organization.

I like the ergonomics of the Mini Freek more, and the aesthetics of the Bugout more. I have rather small hands and I don't think the Mini Freek would be nearly as comfortable for someone with larger mitts.

Both of mine had some of the worst action humanly possible. I could open the knives, pull back the AXIS lock, vigorously shake them and the blade wouldn't budge. I pulled the Mini Freek apart and it was completely PACKED fulled of carbon fiber dust. Completely unacceptable for ~$300 knife fresh from the factory in my opinion. Three out of the last four Benchmade's I've ordered have been like this. After cleaning them out and lapping the washers, the blades are now free swinging.

I guess I should probably also say that I prefer my custom Acid and Stone washed custom M4/Micarta Mini Griptillian more than either knife, lol.

ueqlKw1.jpg

wmT4W8C.jpg

UsnjXBW.jpg

Back