Carbon steel fixed blade

Hi, I'm looking for a good carbon steel fixed blade in the 4 to 5" range. It is going to be for camping / SAR / army. My main fixed blade is a Fallkniven F1, and have a SOG Seal Pup that currently meet these uses. I have some Grohmanns for hunting. I think my next stainless fixed blade will be a Fallkniven S1 but was also thinking a Bravo 1 in S35VN. I have some Busses but they are all big blades.

I was thinking an ESEE 4 or 5 would fit the bill, but they seem expensive for what you get - at least in Canada our exchange has made them look that way.

Thanks

ESEE knives are awesome, and their 1095 and heat treat are top notch. That said, I beat the piss out of my Mora Companion HD and it always comes back for more. That knife is a steal at ~$20

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 4, probably.

How about Condor? I have a machete by them and its been a pleasure to use so far.
Their knives are known to be great values with excellent heat treat and they have several designs I'm tempted by.

Check out the Mira all-round series, they have a nice large rubberized handle that most people like , is a 3/4 tang, and come with some longer blade lengths than many other models.

Hi, I'm looking for a good carbon steel fixed blade in the 4 to 5" range. It is going to be for camping / SAR / army. My main fixed blade is a Fallkniven F1, and have a SOG Seal Pup that currently meet these uses. I have some Grohmanns for hunting. I think my next stainless fixed blade will be a Fallkniven S1 but was also thinking a Bravo 1 in S35VN. I have some Busses but they are all big blades.

I was thinking an ESEE 4 or 5 would fit the bill, but they seem expensive for what you get - at least in Canada our exchange has made them look that way.

Thanks

You may buy Ontario RAT series in 1095 or Ontario Ranger series in 5160. If you are looking to go up for a good 154CM blade (stainless though), you may get Ontario SK-5 blackbird, its a good field knife.
BUT Camping has different requirements, so has SAR and Army, single knife can't fit the bill. I have stated above knife for camping and Army. FOR SAR see Eickhorn knives like CSAR folders, PRT series folders, Aviator 1,2,3 fixed blades, RT 1,2,3,4 fixed blades Here is link http://www.eickhorn-solingen.de/epages/62631327.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62631327/Categories/Produkte/Rettungsmesser SAR needs highly pro tools made for the job.

For pure military get a Ka-bar, Eickhorn KM-2000, KM3000, Glock 78 etc.

Try the Becker BK16. Its similar in size to the ESEE 4, but with a more comfortable handle shape, and a slightly thinner spine. They usually cost ~$60-70. I find that they're a great all rounder.

Don't overthink this. Get a KaBar USN Mark 1 Deck Knife Cro Van steel, 5 1/8" blade shaped in the "hunting knife" tradition. Tough as nails and affordable. If you take care of it, it will outlive you!

Trust me, you skin a deer or two before you have to take it to a pair of ceramic sticks. It is made in the USA and is "battle proven" tough since 1943. (Being patterned after the hunting knives of the 1920's has its benefits).

I have thought the Buck Compadre 104 fixed blade in 5160 would be a good tough knife, 5160 is known to be tough and hold a decent edge. Just read one of the reviews on a knife selling site that it paired with the 108 Compadre chopping Froe made a good combination. they also have an ax in that series too.

Don't overthink this. Get a KaBar USN Mark 1 Deck Knife Cro Van steel, 5 1/8" blade shaped in the "hunting knife" tradition. Tough as nails and affordable. If you take care of it, it will outlive you!

Trust me, you skin a deer or two before you have to take it to a pair of ceramic sticks. It is made in the USA and is "battle proven" tough since 1943. (Being patterned after the hunting knives of the 1920's has its benefits).

This is a good idea.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

The KaBar USN Deck knife looks pretty good - I've always been considering their main fighting knife but don't like the point on it - the deck knife is much more to my liking.

The Ontario RAT and Ranger both look similar to what I was looking for in the ESEE - specifically the Ontario RAT-5 and the TAK. Any more info on Ontario vs the ESEE? Why is ESEE so expensive for a 1095?

My main SAR Knife is a Spyderco rescue folder that works pretty click. Just wanted a back up fixed blade that could handle the general tasks with.

I was in Finland for work - I really should have bought a Puuko when I was there - but instead came home with a Roselli Axe that they burned my name in the handle.

Also, thanks for the Mora suggestion - I have a Mora companion and like it lot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

The KaBar USN Deck knife looks pretty good - I've always been considering their main fighting knife but don't like the point on it - the deck knife is much more to my liking.

The Ontario RAT and Ranger both look similar to what I was looking for in the ESEE - specifically the Ontario RAT-5 and the TAK. Any more info on Ontario vs the ESEE? Why is ESEE so expensive for a 1095?

My main SAR Knife is a Spyderco rescue folder that works pretty click. Just wanted a back up fixed blade that could handle the general tasks with.

I was in Finland for work - I really should have bought a Puuko when I was there - but instead came home with a Roselli Axe that they burned my name in the handle.

Also, thanks for the Mora suggestion - I have a Mora companion and like it lot.
I know it's been a while, but nobody answered your question about Ontario versus ESEE. ESEE knives cost more because they are made better, have a much better sheath, and a bulletproof warranty. By the time you fix the grind on your RAT and buy a decent sheath, you could have bought the ESEE. Also these days Ontario is using 1075 vs 1095. I have both brands, and in the future, ESEE will get my business.

Reactions: DMG
Assuming the budget is OK, since you do have Busses:
- there are Busses in your size range (SOB, for instance)
- my goto knives in ~that size (5.5" though) are Ratmandu and Hinderer Ranch (3V). The Hinderer is great !
- if you want something a little more agressive and stainless, I love my OK&T Lil' Ferox in CPM 154 - toughest stainless steel out there

Roland.

Condor SBK
BKT Crewmn or Companion
BKT Harpoon
Cold Steel SRK
Ka-Bar IFB (2 different blade styles)
Tops has some decent stuff in your size range
Bark River has great stuff, But a little pricey compared to these others

I love the Becker BK62..... But since you enjoy the finer things..... why not step it up a tiny bit?

A maker Here on BF has a subforum here..... https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/jk-handmade-knives.830/

He specializes in small to medium fixed blades. Tons of styles.
his Kephart and Canadian are not likely beat..... I've not seen better.
Plus you can have him customize to what YOU want (sizes, shapes, wood types, etc).
His prices are good, and he has a loyal following. Check him out.

Nothing wrong the the Esee 4 and 5 you were looking at. Both have served me well for many years and more to come. The 4 is avgreat solid allrounder, the 5 is a true beast. This thread needs some pics now :)

jRnpotq11RODoTLUIIrfzgwhs6wx2PNa6l5O9XLLBldPRFfiir6DNAx00Ur_-80nJ6MExR7cigVM5l2p-FmUmSMmswpNPSRSHPFth75hoYayZoQYHzTZZALIqgrAhC4Mc1G5_kCNnyw=w800

PsDMoW7tZePy9-ssMX09_z_Q2E0tZVJszkWGGRAlOChfm5Dd_2OqZk98-4dDWkWbO5Y_Zq0UVxLDPtEOrSTRLHQuelrYTY_i43lF6qFr7xoFoEgYZgDQUkh3I9mvq4bd7PbbdSfbbzk=w800

Not the latest sexy supersteel but both solid performers.

Back