Carbon steel

Have you ever thought of making knives out of carbon steel? Many people like carbon steel since they are generally tougher, easier to sharpen and get sharper than average stainless steel, plus those would probably not be drastically different to manufacture. Maybe a limited run or something.

Yes am thinking of *buying* a carbon steel knife. D2 and 1095 I understand are steels relevant.

Yes we had a few runs with a D2 -like high carbon steel. Do you think High Carbon Steel is more popular then Stainless?

For some knives it would be---large, heavy fixed blades will generally do better in something like 1095, SK-5, C70 (I think that's Germany's 1070 equivalent) or 8670. ESPECIALLY 8670---I have something of a love affair with that alloy. Non-stainless tool/spring steels are more ductile and tougher than stainless, and tend to blunt rather than fracture/chip when used harder. I certainly wouldn't replace everything but it'd be a very nice option on the big knives. I'd buy some! :)

Yes we had a few runs with a D2 -like high carbon steel. Do you think High Carbon Steel is more popular then Stainless?
Sorry for late answer.
Well if you look the outdoor forum
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/865-Outdoor-Gear-Survival-Equipment-amp-More
you will see that many people prefer carbon steel over stainless.
For large blade most people don't feel comfortable with stainless, because people fear breakage and chipping.
Also popular for small blades.

Tool steels like 1095, 1080, O1, A2, L6...

Last edited:
we at spammers r us don't bother to read or follow the rules of sites we register on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back