Care and repair of your stag handle knife.

Scott Hanson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
One of the knife that came back for a sharpening earlier this year had a small amount of damage to the handle were the owner dropped the knife on a concrete floor and chipped a small piece of the burr off the handle. He brought the knife back minus the chipped off piece so I smoothed it down a bit and re-dyed the chipped area with some potassium permanganate and was done with it, easy enough fix.

IMG_3469 (1).jpeg

How ever if this happens to a knife you own let a knife maker know, and get the broken off piece to him or me also. This can be repaired and be just about as strong if not stronger than the original antler. Some of the modern adhesives like super glue bond to bone and stag like crazy and can be stronger the antler or bone to begin with and a good knife maker can repair it with the repair being nearly invisible. I have and old stag handle knife that develops a crack in the handle each winter from the drastic change in humidity, I have repaired it several times, it keeps cracking each year but never in the same spot. So yes stuff like this can be repaired without even being noticeable. A good idea for caring for your stag, ivory and bone handle knives is to apply a liberal coat of mineral oil on the handle a few times a year, this may darken your handles a bit. Or apply a couple out of Ren-wax to the handles a couple times a year.

Back